AF Canyon Update

GAR

My wife and I 2-up'ed the KTM and rode up the Alpine loop Saturday. I wanted to see how far up we could get. The gate is closed at Pine Hollow parking area and we ran into snow about 1/4 mile farther. I didn't drive up Tibble Fork. The good news is there isn't much snow up there. The snow blocking the road was old crusty drifts in the shadows.

Nobody was in the entrance gate to ask about trail openings. I'm guessing it will still be a while.

I live 1/2 mile from the canyon entrance, so I'll keep ya all updated.

IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0422.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I went up to tibble fork a few weeks ago, parking lot was clear. but still about 2-3 feet of snow on the road past the gate. We have had a few storms, and a lot of warm weather since then, so i'm sure the conditions have changed

kyojin

Any chance with the mild winter and lack of snow that they will open earlier than normal? I'm dying to get up there with the new Jeep and do some camping.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Any chance with the mild winter and lack of snow that they will open earlier than normal? I'm dying to get up there with the new Jeep and do some camping.

At this warming rate it should be pretty soon. I keep an eye on this weather cam that sits at about the same elevation as the lower Mineral Basin http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/SkylineSR31.php If you look closely you can see the numbers in feet on the stick, just shy of 2 feet right now.

GAR

I just went for a ride up AF canyon. The Ranger people at the gate said trails will probably be open memorial weekend. I road up to tibble fork and the gate was closed (and the middle slidy one) then went up the alpine loop, gate was closed but you can go through the middle. The summit was pretty dry. Then down to cascade springs which gate was also closed. I was hoping to keep going into Midway. ohwell.
It definitely won't be long!

IMG_0547.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0553.jpgIMG_0555.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would love to ride with some of you guys this year. I live closer than Steve:D I guess that makes it even worse that I don't ride there as much as I should.

Cascadia

Undecided
Can't wait for this to open, I love it up AF. I just hate Steve for being so close -_-

X2 for this. Everytime he invites me it takes me probably 30-40 minutes to get there, just from Orem. Not fair that he's so close to AF and Snakes. I'm closer to Moab though. :confused:

sixstringsteve

I would love to ride with some of you guys this year. I live closer than Steve:D I guess that makes it even worse that I don't ride there as much as I should.

Yes, that's definitely worse. I plan on riding every single Thursday night that it's open, starting on the 31st.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just installed the reKluse, amazing... and what an easy install. So now I need someone to go ride with.... On a Monday Tuesday or every other wednesday..... or sunday nights.... I hate my schedule

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I just installed the reKluse, amazing... and what an easy install. So now I need someone to go ride with.... On a Monday Tuesday or every other wednesday..... or sunday nights.... I hate my schedule

You don't work at IM Flash do you? That sounds like the opposite of my schedule. I could do a wednesday on occasion.

Steve, what time do you plan on for your thursday evening rides?

sixstringsteve

update:

I just talked to the ranger station. The gate above Tibble Fork is open. Trails like Forest lake and Mineral Basin are legal to drive right now. HOWEVER, the ranger asked that if it gets muddy and sloppy that we turn around and head back. I don't blame them. As tough as it is to turn around when a trail gets wet, it'll help us keep the trail damage and erosion down.

The singletrack is still closed to foot traffic only. DOT is working on some culverts and road repair on the Alpine Loop road, and it won't be open until Memorial Day.

That being said, I'm planning on riding Forest lake on Thursday if anyone wants to come. I'll probably run up to Pole Line Pass as well to see how bad the snow is up there. Supposedly there was snow up there last week, but I'm guessing a lot of it has melted with how warm it's been.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
From the FS:

"Hi all,
With this beautiful weather, I am sure you are anxious to get out and hit the trail. I wanted to make sure that I reminded people that the following trails are currently under the wet trail closure:

Mill Canyon #040
Tibble Fork #041
Pine Hollow #047
Salamander Flat #150
Ridge #157
Mud Springs #173
Willow Hollow #159
South Fork of Little Deer Creek #252

We went up American Fork canyon yesterday and cleared several trails and we feel really good about how the trails are looking. They are drying very quickly and have had very few trees down. We were able to hike almost a mile up the Timpooneke Trail before we hit snow (last year it was the end of June before we could get to this part of the trail). Many of the notoriously wet trails only have a few sections that are wet or that still have snow. Having said this, it is just as important this year to stay off the trails until they have been opened. We made new signs that cannot be missed that are posted on the trails that are part of this closure. If the weather stays this way, I think most of these trails will be ready to open before Memorial Day. Please be patient and respect the closure as this protects the trails. Luckily this year the wait won’t be nearly as long. I attached a picture of the trail closure sign. I will send out more updates as we start opening the trails.

For now other trails that are not part of this closure are open. Please keep in mind though that if the trail is wet, you should turn around and wait to ride to avoid causing trail damage.

Cheryl Butler
Trails, Wilderness, Dispersed Recreation
and Recreation Special Uses Manager
Pleasant Grove Ranger District
801-342-5257"