AF Canyon Winch Recovery Needed

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those that showed up. We cleaned house!

Sadly the truck had already rolled down the hillside. I don't know if it was helped, I would suspect so given the amount of trees it worked through. Now the funny part.. there was another rig (Bronco) stuck about 30 feet away in the same manner. The Bronco owner had already called a wrecker service ($125/hr from the time they leave their shop :eek:), so we concentrated on the Mazda.

With the rangers permission, we used an old mine road to access the truck from the bottom. Using Meat's winch at the top and Craig and Chad's winches on bottom, we were able to safely drag it the rest of the way down the slope. From there I dragged it to Tibble Fork, with Anthony driving and Corbin behind that in his Tacoma to serve as brakes :D

Half way down the mountain Anthony decides to "pop" start the truck (battery flew out in the roll and the ignition had been jacked). The thing fired right to life and the brakes mysteriously started working. So we unhitched it and Anthony crept it back to Tibble Fork where the owner is coming to get it this afternoon.

Thanks again everyone! The FS was impressed!! I thought we pulled it off very professionally, safely and fast given the location of the truck and the access to it (Badcop broke a shaft getting to the truck from the bottom). Hope everyone makes it home safely!

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Yah just got home, took a little on redwood to bountiful from AF, and it wasnt even the damm shaft, the joint grenaded, snapped the brake line, and blew the the lower ball joint out of the C along with taking the the upper joint out of the housing.... Long long day, sorry I was more of a hinderince than help. And thanks to the couple of you all that came over to give me crap while i fixed it :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yah just got home, took a little on redwood to bountiful from AF, and it wasnt even the damm shaft, the joint grenaded, snapped the brake line, and blew the the lower ball joint out of the C along with taking the the upper joint out of the housing.... Long long day, sorry I was more of a hinderince than help. And thanks to the couple of you all that came over to give me crap while i fixed it :)

Glad to hear you were able to get it home! Thanks again for bringing out the troops!

PS, who all was there with you? There was so much going on I didn't get a chance to meet all of you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Im glad we were able to help the FS out.:D Who took the home made dumper chair home.:ugh:

It was in the back of the truck when we left it at Tibble Fork :D

Was the truck still there when you guys came down? I talked to the owner ~1pm and he was getting ready to head up and grab it.

PS. thanks for the use of your radios, that really made things alot more comfortable!

Bodine

One Call That's All
Meat and I came down at dark and I didn't see the truck but we were paying to much attention to the moose swimming across Tibble Fork and may have missed it
The radios come in handy for stuff like that glad I remebered to bring them.

Meat_

Banned
I didn't get any good pics of the truck we went up after, heres the only one I have of it and we are most of the way through the recovery already

P6280016.jpg

I was running the control line from the top, I was pulling up the hill and away from the poor quakie that had stoped it's decent....

P6280014.jpg

but when my tire started looking like this :ugh:

P6280015.jpg

I stopped pulling. 18psi sure was nice for the ride up, but it would have been nice to have 32 for the pull.

Meat_

Banned
This is the sight we were greeted with when we arrived

P6280012.jpg

This rock is the ONLY thing holding this guy on the mountain

P6280013.jpg

As mentioned he arrived with Larry's towing's '72 Chev recovery vehicle.... the position the Bronco was in, one winch was not going to cut it. So I told the Larry's guys that if they would snatch up the hill to a tree then hook to the side of the Bronco to keep it from rolling I would pull it out of the hole. I then had Bodine hook to the back of me to make sure that I out weighted the Bronco. Even though I couldn't see it from where I parked (to keep me on more solid road) the look on Chad's face told me that everything went off like clockwork.

The Larry's truck could have done it alone by hooking their winch in the same mannor, hooking a chain between the Bronco and the '72, then backing up while letting out the winch. That could have gotten ugly fast though since the Chev wouldn't weight much more than the Bronco if any.

Bodine

One Call That's All
whats the road like? how tough? i have never been up that way.

It was like I15 during rush hour -_-..... it can be rough in places but there were quite a few cars up there.

rifle6

the pic that shows the bronc off the side,
why is it off the road there? i can't figure it out i guess, or was it that narrow?

what kind of CARS were up there, from the decriptions, it sounds like 4x4 country, i wish i would have seen this event earlier, i need to take the XJ out, it has not been in the dirt since i got it done.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Glad to hear you were able to get it home! Thanks again for bringing out the troops!

PS, who all was there with you? There was so much going on I didn't get a chance to meet all of you.

Matt and Logan in the Yellow XJ, Jeff in the burb. And you've met the wife with me.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Matt and Logan in the Yellow XJ, Jeff in the burb. And you've met the wife with me.

Very good, I met Jeff, great guy. What is Matt's screen name?

EDIT: I'm an idiot... I just figured out Matt is the FJ Cruiser owner too! I've chatted with him on-line quite a bit and didn't even realize he had been building an XJ.

Last edited:
Good Job guys! That sounds like it was a "fun" operation. Nice to hear people helping people...

I unfortunately didn't even make the summit run :( Late start radio issues.