AF on thursday night 7-7-05 (ATV rescue)

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Written by Maverick:

Last night we went for a quick little outing up AF canyon. It was a chance to use my new tow rig, to do a little exploring, to get out and do some jeeping, and to take my nephew who claims he has never been with us and was dying to go. So, altogether we had EZ, his kid Sam, 2 of my kids (Noah and Matt), Matt's friend, and the nephew.

Towing the jeep for the first time with a turbo diesel: all I can say is "Sweet!" I'd towed a little car on the hauler, but just around town, not over any passes or hills. Jeep weighs around 4500 lbs, hauler is around 1500. Effortless is the best way to describe it.

The friend brought "The Holy Grail" dvd so we all laughed our arses off during the effortless pull up to the trailhead. Piled in the jeep (Scrambler, with 2 back seats), and had a few hours of 4-wheeling bliss. Listened/watched again on the effortless pull back, and got home just as King Arthur and his Kehniggits began their attack on the foul and ferocious beast with big sharp pointy teeth.

Shortly after getting on the trail, we came across some ATVers. One was banged up pretty bad so we started to put him in my jeep to get back down to the parking area. A cherokee pulled up behind me with an empty back seat, so we lifted him in there and they were off. We went over to fish the upside down ATV out of the river (still high with runoff). After the cable was hooked, I toggled the remote and there was a click and then nothing. Checked the connections, still nothing. Tried a different remote...nothing. Neither direction. Another rig pulled up by then with a winch so we hooked him on and reeled us in a nice new ATV with no handlebars.

After that (and knowing we had no winch) we went up and explored a couple trails, including a road I'd never been on before, past Graveyard Flats in Major Evans Gulch. The cherokee had caught up to us while winching, and since they were new to the area, they asked if they could follow us around. We started getting into some nasty, narrow and loose switchbacks and my brakes, which are usually between mediocre and ok, started getting a little worse than mediocre. (all brake components are fairly new...and I thought properly bled). Looks like I have some homework to do before the next outing. I tried the winch when I got home...another faint click and then nothing.

Got home around 11, younger kids asleep, older kids juiced, adults relaxed. Time well spent.

Brett

Attachments

• Picture 009s.jpg
    Picture 009s.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 012s.jpg
    Picture 012s.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 013s.jpg
    Picture 013s.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 015s.jpg
    Picture 015s.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 023s.jpg
    Picture 023s.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
We can assume that, but not sure. One thing is certain...that guy was hurt bad. I don't think he had a helmet on either.

EZ

phillippi

Never enough time
If the kid's (like 18 yrs old) name was Dane, then he did have a helmet on. He also was only bumped and bruised. He thought he had some sort of internal bleeding, but a check at AFER showed nothing. I took the report on the ATV accident. The kid stated that he was riding along and a red truck was in the middle of the road with no room for him so he swerved out of the way down the small ledge into the water. At least thats what he told the cops...