Airaid Spacers

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
as some of u guys might know i drive an 02' Wrangler, an i get the worst Gas Milage ever. some guys were telling me that the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer would give me more power and better fuel economy. anyone used this before?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Devel said:
as some of u guys might know i drive an 02' Wrangler, an i get the worst Gas Milage ever. some guys were telling me that the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer would give me more power and better fuel economy. anyone used this before?

I have the poweraid version on my 00'. It does increase the power significantly, but as to fuel mileage? no idea for the difference, after putting it on, i threw on 35's and havnt regeared, I still pull down around 12-16mpg depending on in town or highway with 3.73's.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Don't know on your rig specifically, but my experience has been that spacers do help a little, but not enough to pay for them selves. Some vehicles respond better than others.

ROCKAHOLIC

Devel said:
i have the airaid spacer, noticed the power difference....... but to be honest didnt notice the gas mileage........ im running 37's with 4.56's ......... noticed the most with the k&n FIPK gen 2...... cold air intake

willies45

willies45
We just did the spacer, new air intake, exhaust and an chip on an 05 Rubicon and it made a big difference in the power and about an 5-7 mile per gallon difference depending on the type of driving. We still have all the other goodies to do when the guy gets the time and then it will be interesting to see if it stay the same or changes back. At this time ih is very glad he has done this much especially going over he passes.:D

Caleb

willies45 said:
We just did the spacer, new air intake, exhaust and an chip on an 05 Rubicon and it made a big difference in the power and about an 5-7 mile per gallon difference depending on the type of driving. We still have all the other goodies to do when the guy gets the time and then it will be interesting to see if it stay the same or changes back. At this time ih is very glad he has done this much especially going over he passes.:D

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call BS on this. 5-7 mpg diff :rolleyes: give me a break. So you're saying you're consistently getting 22-27mpg...

My personal experience with them is don't waste your time or money. When I put one on my wrangler I did notice the throttle was a little more responsive but zero power gain and zero mpg difference. The only noticeable thing it did was add that nice high pitch whistle...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a 91 XJ that I put the throttle spacer and a K&N filter and it boosted the power and I am getting about 16-19 miles per gallon was going to add the 62mm throttle body kit but the company I ordered it from couldn't deliever it...

1993yj

I just got a 1" thick piece of nylon and bored a hole in it to match the size of my throttle body. At the same time I also bored out my throttle body a bit. Cant tell you if it even added any power or gas mileage. I would have to say probably neither. And I do get a whistle too, but I think that is from my air intake tube. I dont really know why anyone would want to know what type of mileage their jeep gets, no matter what it isnt good.

anvil

The POWERAID® TBS concept was developed to enhance mid-range power, torque and fuel efficiency. The unique dyno-proven "Helix Bore" of the POWERAID® TBS causes a spinning action of the incoming air-charge as it passes through the throttle body. This extremely beneficial air-charge carries all the way into the combustion chamber, producing a super-atomized mixture, which produces tremendous gains in mid-range power and overall efficiency. This is the key element to the horsepower success behind each POWERAID® TBS.

You could hardly stuff more lies into this paragraph from the Airaid website.

For those of you with too much money here's a few more websites:

http://auto.272.com/272/tornadofuelsaver/tfs.php
http://www.wholly-water.com/magnetizer/super.magnetic.fuel.saver.htm
http://www.nmoa.org/products/fuelsaver.htm

moabrangler

spacer

any body try the 2" spacer that is available. the person that has them was at the DATC show. I didn't really notice an diff with my arraid.

Big Daddy C.

Mines on thirty eights.
I have the Airaid on my 95 Wrangler with a k&n filter, mines an automatic and I noticed the power increase especially in the upper band, It sounds cool, almost like my turbo on my Cummins. Gas milege? maybe a few but with extra power came a heavier foot. That was with 33's and 3:73 gears. Now With 38.5's and 5:38 gears still lots o' power and 6mpg. So I say yes worth the money for power and it will pay for its self over a couple years if you don't have a lead foot. I would look at a chip for your jeep. Mine does not have a place for the chip to plug in so I don't know how well they work but I've herd lots of good things about them.

sibeta

my mom has the 2inch spacer on her rubi and i cant definitly tell a difference from when it wasnt on. Gas mileage might be 1mpg better. I think it was worth it.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
I think the power gains are perception only. I tried one on my 94 Chev and got no actual power or mileage gains.
I fell for the hype again with my 99 wrangler 4.0 and again, no better power or mileage. I'd take it off, but I've already wasted 15 minutes of my life putting it on, no need to burn another 15 to remove it.
The power & mileage comes from the intake or filter assembly.

Big Daddy C.

Mines on thirty eights.
wildkid said:
I think the power gains are perception only. I tried one on my 94 Chev and got no actual power or mileage gains.
I fell for the hype again with my 99 wrangler 4.0 and again, no better power or mileage. I'd take it off, but I've already wasted 15 minutes of my life putting it on, no need to burn another 15 to remove it.
The power & mileage comes from the intake or filter assembly.

Well sense you have so much experiance maybe you should teach a class!
I know that on my jeep, that had the K&N on way before I put the Airaid on, it made a very noticeable differance in the upper band. But maybe my perception is defferent sense I keep my head here on earth and not up in the clouds.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Big Daddy C. said:
Well sense you have so much experiance maybe you should teach a class!
I know that on my jeep, that had the K&N on way before I put the Airaid on, it made a very noticeable differance in the upper band. But maybe my perception is defferent sense I keep my head here on earth and not up in the clouds.

And you know more than me why? :rolleyes: This isn't your thread, I wasn't attacking you. I posted MY experience because Devel had asked if anybody had used them before. You don't have to agree with me, what's more, you should review the forum rules. :-\

That being said, explain to me how possibly the spacer does any good with the Jeep 4.0. Atleast with the Chev TBI, the air and fuel are mixed at the throtle body. The spacer MAY aid in atomization of the air/fuel mixture. However, the engine in my '99 is a direct port injection, so the air and gas are not mixed at the throttle body, thus not doing jack to aid in the atomization. There may be a slight increase in the plenum volume, but not enough to add any measurable gain in power.

So...take it or leave it. Either way, leave your personal attacks at home :mad2: