Alignment

rockkrawler01

Recently, I placed my steering with that Tie Rod upgrade from Rustys Offroad for my XJ. I took my jeep in to get an alignment over the weekend, and they told me they couldnt align my front end, cause I have a bad Differential, Could that really make a big deal? I have a lock Rite locker in the front diff now. Could that throw it off?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bad differential? It could be 100% missing the differential and not effect the alignment. I would ask for some clarification on what the issue was.

rockkrawler01

I dont know how the differential could really effect the alignment. Didnt make sense to me, so I just left. I wont be going back to them anymore..

bamacpl

Just use a tape measure & measure @ the exact same place on the front & the rear of the tire till its the exact measurement.....prob solved

4554x4

always modifing something
I suspect that they have an old school alignment rack that they have to compensate the heads that they place on your wheels to make the alignment measurements. With a locked diff, (one without locking hubs) they could not do the proper compensations. They probably assumed that you had a bad differential, not an improved diff.

A newer alignment rack would not have the same procedure, and thet could proceed with the alignment.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Some measurable toe is often spec'd by manufactures, 0 toe is not always the answer.

correct. but on a lifted XJ it works better.
Here are stock specs:

NOTE: All alignment specifications are in degrees.

ADJUSTMENT CASTER
PREFERRED + 7.0°
RANGE + 5.25° to + 8.5°
MAX RT/LT DIFFERENCE 1.25°

ADJUSTMENT CAMBER (fixed angle)
PREFERRED − 0.25°
RANGE − 0.75° to + 0.5°
MAX RT/LT DIFFERENCE 1.0°

TOTAL TOE-IN
PREFERRED + 0.25°
RANGE 0° to + 0.45°
MAX RT/LT DIFFERENCE .05°

to the OP:

with a tape measure the closest to 0"- 0.080" toe you can get (erring on the side of toe in)

and between +5° +7° caster will work best on your rig.

If you're unable to do it yourself, take it to Keith at Big "O" on 178 East South Temple. He used to be a more active member of NAXJA and will get you setup. :D