Alloy Axles????????????????

fire4j15

I have a 05' Rubicon and I'm looking to add some beef to the front axle. Anyone here have any experince with alloy usa, superior shafts, yukon shafts???? Alloy usa has a new kit which replaces the tiny 27 spline stub shaft with a new unit bearing and a 30 spline shaft. That would add some serious strength to the front axle. Again anyone here have experince with choromoly axles or that new alloy usa 30 spline kit?????? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I have a 05' Rubicon and I'm looking to add some beef to the front axle. Anyone here have any experince with alloy usa, superior shafts, yukon shafts???? Alloy usa has a new kit which replaces the tiny 27 spline stub shaft with a new unit bearing and a 30 spline shaft. That would add some serious strength to the front axle. Again anyone here have experince with choromoly axles or that new alloy usa 30 spline kit?????? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Link to 30 spline stub and uni bearing? Sounds like something I'd like.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don't know if Warn makes a set for that front axle, but consider them if they do. I've always heard good things about Superiors as well.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I ran Alloy USA's front axle kit in my 04 Rubicon with 35" tires for almost 2 years with no issues - I also was not easy on it! I did not have the 30 spline outers, either. IMO the 30 spline outer swap is way too expensive for nothing really needed.
Look at the 27 spline outer breaks on YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ's. They always break at the cross, never at the splines or shaft.

IMO just get the 30/27 spline 4340 kit and have fun. Yukon is also making 4340 axles for the Rubicon now and they are much cheaper than the others (Alloy USA, Warn, Superior). PM me for pricing. :D

fire4j15

I ran Alloy USA's front axle kit in my 04 Rubicon with 35" tires for almost 2 years with no issues - I also was not easy on it! I did not have the 30 spline outers, either. IMO the 30 spline outer swap is way too expensive for nothing really needed.
Look at the 27 spline outer breaks on YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ's. They always break at the cross, never at the splines or shaft.

IMO just get the 30/27 spline 4340 kit and have fun. Yukon is also making 4340 axles for the Rubicon now and they are much cheaper than the others (Alloy USA, Warn, Superior). PM me for pricing. :D

I was thinking a 30 spline up-grade would be quite a strength gain. anyways I'm running 37" MTR's on my stock axles right now. But you have not had any problems with the alloy usa axles???

chadschoon

wayne had some issues with them when he had 37's though i know he snapped a rear or something??? correct me if im wrong wayne

GOAT

Back from the beyond

Have to agree with Wayne on Alloy USA. Their customer service cannot be matched. Ron is a great guy. I've run their D30 27 spline alloy shafts for a couple of years with 35" krawlers and beat the living crap out of them without issue.

37s are touch and go on Rubi44s. They are IMHO, not worth the headaches. If you upgrade to 30 outers, it will just break somewhere else.

fire4j15

Have to agree with Wayne on Alloy USA. Their customer service cannot be matched. Ron is a great guy. I've run their D30 27 spline alloy shafts for a couple of years with 35" krawlers and beat the living crap out of them without issue.

37s are touch and go on Rubi44s. They are IMHO, not worth the headaches. If you upgrade to 30 outers, it will just break somewhere else.

I'm running superior chromoly shafts in the rear of my rubicon axle. So far so good. I have been babying the front axle when I go wheeling. It did fine over easter in moab on widow maker hill. But I know its just a matter of time til those stock stub shafts break. So far everyone is saying just stick with the 27/30 spline chromoly kit.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was thinking a 30 spline up-grade would be quite a strength gain. anyways I'm running 37" MTR's on my stock axles right now. But you have not had any problems with the alloy usa axles???

0 problems with 35's and it's been all over Moab/BFE, etc.

I think this kit is something like $600 - it's not cheap! To me, it's not worth it, especially since like I said earlier, I dont' see people breaking 27 spline outers (in the spline/shaft area).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
wayne had some issues with them when he had 37's though i know he snapped a rear or something??? correct me if im wrong wayne

When I had 37's (for that short month period), I was still running stock axle shafts. I really had no problems with 35's and the stock shafts. I did on occasion break a front, but it was because of loosing caps and taking out the shafts. I can get complete assemblies for like $120, so it really didn't matter to me if I broke one. But after the third? time breaking a front, I finally bought the $500 4340 kit from Alloy USA.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If you upgrade to 30 outers, it will just break somewhere else.

This is what I think, too... I don't think the ball joints could handle it, either. But even like you say, you are running 27 spline outers and 35" tires and really beat the snot out of it and have never broke one. Well, you lost a ball joint one time that took out the shafts. But didn't Ron have a new one on your door step in 2 days or something like that - free of charge?

Seriously, save yourself some $'s and just get the standard 30/27 spline kit.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'm running superior chromoly shafts in the rear of my rubicon axle. So far so good. I have been babying the front axle when I go wheeling. It did fine over easter in moab on widow maker hill. But I know its just a matter of time til those stock stub shafts break. So far everyone is saying just stick with the 27/30 spline chromoly kit.

Ask around, I doubt there are any YJ/XJ/ZJ/TJ/Rubicons out there having problems with breaking 27 spline outers (cromo of course).

I know there are some on here running super 30 kit's, too with the 27 spline outers.

fire4j15

Ask around, I doubt there are any YJ/XJ/ZJ/TJ/Rubicons out there having problems with breaking 27 spline outers (cromo of course).

I know there are some on here running super 30 kit's, too with the 27 spline outers.

Thanks wayne. I think I will try the 27/30 spline kit. You say the alloy usa is on back order. And you said the yukons are in stock. Any difference between those two. Should I order the yukons now????

sbr

I have a bunch of the alloy usa shafts in the different rigs we have all in 44's and have never had a problemand we are all running 37's and bigger we have one with 39.5" iroks and he has abused it with no problems. I would recomend the alloy usa anyday. Alloy has a ten year guarentee NO ONE else does that

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Alloy has a ten year guarentee NO ONE else does that

Not completely true, Yukon does.... The problem with Yukon's warranty is it's not in writing. However, I have yet to have anyone have any issues getting their stuff warranteed. I believe they are lifetime. The first time you break it, it's on them. The second time it's on you. While that is not always the case, as I have had some break 2 but they will not replace the second, it's an automatic refund. Even though it's not in writing, I don't forsee any future issues. Any company can go out of business and their warranty is then dead, so take the nothing in writing thing with a grain of salt. ...And of course if they do have a warranty in writing, I have not seen it. If someone has a copy I would love to have it :D

But I would not have any problems running a Warn, Yukon, Superior or Alloy USA shaft in my rig. They all have great warranties and correct me if I'm wrong, made in the same place. Granted, they do probably have their own tolerances they adhere to... With that said, Yukon is usually the cheapest and Superior the most expensive. Alloy and Warn are in the middle with Alloy the cheaper of the two.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Thanks wayne. I think I will try the 27/30 spline kit. You say the alloy usa is on back order. And you said the yukons are in stock. Any difference between those two. Should I order the yukons now????

The Alloy's are on BO until about the 20th.

There isn't really any difference between the two. Alloy USA comes preassembled, and Yukon's don't. They are both high quality 4340, will accept full circle clips (come with full circle clips), etc.. Like I said before, Warn, Alloy USA, Superior and Yukon are all good axles...

rondo

rondo
Nobody mentioned the stuff Randys/ring/pinion sells. I busted 2of their shafts around a stock u-joint; u-joint didn't shatter, the stub did.
first time it happened it was in the snow; they gave me a hard time about it but eventually warranteed it. second time it happened i didn't bother to even call them; just replaced them with alloy USA.

Randys so called alloy axles are chinese? India? junk and i'm thru with their crap.

not emotional about it or anything haha

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Nobody mentioned the stuff Randys/ring/pinion sells. I busted 2of their shafts around a stock u-joint; u-joint didn't shatter, the stub did.
first time it happened it was in the snow; they gave me a hard time about it but eventually warranteed it. second time it happened i didn't bother to even call them; just replaced them with alloy USA.

Randys so called alloy axles are chinese? India? junk and i'm thru with their crap.

not emotional about it or anything haha

Ahem - they sell Yukon, so they have been covered ;)

They are made in India? just like Superior, Warn, and Alloy USA.

As for problems with warranty, I know they like the customer to go through the dealer you bought it from and not direct - so maybe that was it? They also want to know what size tires, gears, etc you had at the time of the break - maybe you misinterpreted that as harrasing you? Ask around on the boards (they are huge on Pirate) about their product and warranty, I'm sure you'll find your case out of the norm.

I know one customer of mine on this board had a shaft break because of a joint failure. They didn't have a outer in 4340 in stock, so they sent a 1541ht (my customer agreed to the lessor shaft with a partial refund). The second shaft broke the next time he had it out. They also warranteed that shaft with no question and rather than waiting for a 4340 replacement, my customer asked for a full refund. At this point I'm not sure what he's running. I think he was going to look into a front 60?

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
Superior are made in USA, and unless things have changed so are Warn.

I'm not sure on Warn, but I know Superior is made in the USA as well. I've actually been able to tour the manufacturing plant where they are made. Pretty cool. . . . I felt like a kid going through the Polka-dot Door! ...Anyone remember that show? :rofl: