Alloy USA U-joint??

fire4j15

Are you having trouble with Spicers?

No trouble so far. Just looking for a slight increase in strength. The CTM's, Yukons and Ox joints are so expensive I can't afford them. The alloy usa wants $50 for them and claim there pretty strong. Just don't know anyone who has actual used them.

fire4j15

Alloy USA's website needs some serious updating. I can't get any info off there site about the X-joint. I've been to other jeep forums and no one else has experience with the X-joint. Makes me wonder.

ID Bronco

I am running Longjoints by bobby long. They are cheaper than CTM's and have held up great for me! I am very impressed with the quality and lifetime warranty.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I ran the early version of the Bobby Long joints (which were just heat treated spicer units with the brass bushing caps instead of needle bearings) and they solved my exploding dana 44 problems.

to answer the question, no I know nothing of the x joints. If they are built better and run full circle clips, it could be worth a shot for 50 bucks.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I am running Longjoints by bobby long. They are cheaper than CTM's and have held up great for me! I am very impressed with the quality and lifetime warranty.

Tanner in the other buggy that I helped build runs those and they are holding up really well! He's been getting it pretty good on some big stuff and I keep cringing... they've held up to his ripped 5.0 so far!

fire4j15

Just checked out there website. Looks like a awesome u-joint for $150.
The u-joint testing data was very interesting also. I think I will go with these. Thanks

soda blaster

I have run the x-joints since they came out and they are awesome we are running a 44 with 39.5" Iroks and no problems so far, also 37" comp. trepadors, 37" pitbull rockers, 37" red label bfg's. All on different rigs and most have fuel injected v-8's pushing them.

DAA

My Alloy front axles came pre-assembled with X-joints. They went in the garbage, replaced by Spicers, before the axles went in my Jeep.

Several people I know had problems with X-joints getting sloppy really quick. So I took mine out of the axles and pulled the caps off and washed them up to see what mine looked like before install. Brand new, the insides of the caps looked like they had been shaped by a chinese lady using a side grinder. Really rough machine marks all the way around inside. Runout visible to the naked eye, too (measured about .007). Total crap parts.

To Alloy's credit, when I called them about it, they just sent me out Spicer's to replace them and didn't even make me send the X-joints back. Told me that they had some "quality control" problems with a couple batches of them.

I wouldn't mess with the X-joints.

Just my opinion...

- DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My Alloy front axles came pre-assembled with X-joints. They went in the garbage, replaced by Spicers, before the axles went in my Jeep.

Several people I know had problems with X-joints getting sloppy really quick. So I took mine out of the axles and pulled the caps off and washed them up to see what mine looked like before install. Brand new, the insides of the caps looked like they had been shaped by a chinese lady using a side grinder. Really rough machine marks all the way around inside. Runout visible to the naked eye, too (measured about .007). Total crap parts.

To Alloy's credit, when I called them about it, they just sent me out Spicer's to replace them and didn't even make me send the X-joints back. Told me that they had some "quality control" problems with a couple batches of them.

I wouldn't mess with the X-joints.

Just my opinion...

- DAA

They have two styles of xjoint: one with needle bearings and one without.
both have full circle clips, and they are considerably heavier and have more material around the cross, I was impressed. Obviously not a ctm or ox but good enough for my budget and 35's.

I wouldn't run without needle bearings on a DD, they would wear out quick.

CTM Fail

I have just broken my third set of CTM u-joints.
My driving is 70 / 30, 70% daily driver and 30% moderate offroad.
Although the CTM is VERY strong, the heat from road / highway speeds wears the bushings out.
Once the bushing is worn failure is not far behind, I know .... Check and lube before every run.

CTM was a life time replacement, now they want $120 to rebuild or replace

So I am now running Spicer 760X, cheap to replace and I can buy a whole lot of them for the cost of one CTM.

Last edited: