almost coyote time!

zukijames

got out the rattle can
AA8BA822-A810-4507-B7D4-E709CB1E2CDC-388-00000146B0D5561F.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd really like to do some of that this winter. I camo'd my Savage FLV 12 two years ago and still haven't gone out.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have been wanting to learn the coyote hunting for a while. If anyone would ever like a tag along I would LOVE to go

zukijames

I'm not very good at it.. my brother in law has always done all the work and i just tagged along.. but he moved to australia this summer so i've got to figure it out..

sit in the shadows / rocks / hold still for 25 mins and hope one comes in

last blackfriday i bought a electronic caller since i have not mastered the hand calls yet

zukijames

its alot easier in nevada then utah but even nevada dogs are getting educated .. and they are flying it

this was my first trip to nevada.. maybe like 4 years ago? or 5 idk?

dogs.jpg

see the little kit fox at the bottom? they make a coyote look like a big target

we got this double on the way out there, good start to a great trip!

double.jpg

DAA

...i bought a electronic caller since i have not mastered the hand calls yet

What kind of e-call did you get?

I'm not very good at calling coyotes either. I just stick to the real basics and sometimes things come together for a good day. Sometimes not. It's always fun either way.

- DAA

zukijames

just a johnny stewart you can change the little card things in the base for different sounds the wireless remote . only used it once so far sounded good though.. had a 11 year old and a 5 year old with us.. the 11 year old did great but the 5 year old had a hard time sitting still.. we were hoping for the 11 year old to get his first dog but no luck

AX10TOY

Undecided
I use the firestorm from fox-pro and different hand calls I have had good luck with those ,but I kill a lot more dogs out elk and deer hunting I just can't seem to hold off on shooting them when hunting other animals :)

P.s hunting coyotes in Utah is really hard be cause of the long drives you have to take , can't just drive a hour and have good luck. By good luck is seeing more than two . Also the earlier you go in the season the better luck you will have ,but if you wait the dogs will be bigger and have better hair ( makes for more money ) .

I just don't kill them for fun I always skin them and may take the head if it's a good size for mounts.

zukijames

yeah we like to go to nevada mid/ late october to shoot the pups .. on a weekend with little/ no moon

skinning them after they have been in the truck awhile is no fun!

but i hate spending time skinning them when its still good hunting ya know? so we just cut the ears and leave them most the time..

i justify killing them just for fun because my grandpa used to have sheep .. and he told me to kill them :)

DAA

just a johnny stewart you can change the little card things in the base for different sounds the wireless remote . only used it once so far sounded good though..

I've seen those, it will get the job done. I'm a straight up Foxpro honk, myself. The last two years I've been campaigning a CS-24 and really like it. My Fury has kind of been gathering dust. I'll keep it for backup though.

What kind of rifles does everyone like to use for their coyote killing? I'm a big fan of the .17's for predator calling. My main squeeze for the last five or six years is the .17 Predator, a necked down, blown out .223. Scoots a 30 gr. bullet out the muzzle at about 4100 fps. It's built on a Model Seven, Lilja 9 twist, Neil Jones trigger. Here is a picture of it after the first morning using it.

FX3Yotes2.jpg

And here's what the case looks like.

17PLapBrassGroup.jpg

When I'm not really after the fur I sometimes use a .20-250 or a 6-284. Have two barrels for the same rifle. It's on a Nesika, both barrels are Lilja, Jewell trigger. Here's the first morning with the .20-250 barrel on it.

11-17%203.jpg

And the results of a good day with the 6-284 barrel.

IMG_5283W.JPG

What y'all shooting 'em with?

- DAA

zukijames

im cheap so i have a .243 and had some .. i think 52 gr. balistic tip blah blah loaded up for dogs and some 80 gr. for deer.

but im a bad shot so i like to just shoot them with my 12 gauge :)

now my brother in law.. the one who i hunted / loaded bullets with is in australia so i will be going back to federal 80 grains for everything

my brother in law shoots a 22-250 i really like it
but i think for 300+ yard shots if you miss hit its not going to do much.. and i cant imagine trying to kill a dog at 400+ with a .223 but like i said im a bad shot and shot gunning them is how i like to do it

Last edited:

petesoffroad

Dave every time I see that .17 predator gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Boy do i love that gun it looks so sweet!!
Later Pete

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am heading out in about an hour to do my first coyote hunting.. What's the best way to remove the jaw? Just a pair of tree snips? What do you do with the rest of the carcass? I imagine just leave them in a pile- Help feed the others?

zukijames

dang better luck next time! i think right now is a little early i usually have best luck mid october! but i've heard later is better.. winter =less food = hungry coyotes