alright what the............

Freelancer

Moderhater
Bcs?

Bowl College Series it's where a bunch of rich guys paid to have a computer pick the teams with the best season record to play in the bowls that they want to see them played in. It's a crock!

Last edited:

Freelancer

Moderhater
Sorry to disapoint you. It is a flawed system and only favors the teams these richy-riches want to see. In other words its rigged. I think the NCAA ought to run a playoff similar to the NFL instead of a million damn bowls. Then we would know for sure who is the number 1 team in College Football each year. :D

Last edited:

StrobeNGH

no user title
How could college football have a playoff system? There is no way they would make the teams play more than one game a week. These kids are supposedly in school to get an education, and with the number of conferences in the NCAA the season would go on forever.
The only way you could have a playoff is to have the champions of each conference play for the title, but then you would have everyone whining about schools with an 'easy' schedule getting an unfair advantage, and pretty soon you would NEVER see good teams play each other in the 'preseason.' The bigger schools would be clamoring over who got to play BYU so they could have a guaranteed win!

If the NCAA was to do anything other than the bowl games there would be a lot more flak than you are seeing now. Remember, it wasn't until the 60's that the NFL introduced the Super Bowl! They used to have a similar system to the NCAA.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
vwjettaon35s said:

Actually not really. It is Bowl Championship Series.
It is a flawed system and a playoff is the only way to straighten it out. A 4+1 system would even be a big improvement.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
You only have a few conferences represented in the BCS, Big East, SEC, ACC, Pac 10, and I sure I'm missing a couple. These conferences formed the BCS, and lock everyone else out. The only way for a mid-major school, ie Utah, to get into the national spotlight is to finsh in the top 6. It's messed up, they need a playoff system. If they can do it with basketball, they can do it with football.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
StrobeNGH said:
How could college football have a playoff system? There is no way they would make the teams play more than one game a week. These kids are supposedly in school to get an education, and with the number of conferences in the NCAA the season would go on forever.
The only way you could have a playoff is to have the champions of each conference play for the title, but then you would have everyone whining about schools with an 'easy' schedule getting an unfair advantage, and pretty soon you would NEVER see good teams play each other in the 'preseason.' The bigger schools would be clamoring over who got to play BYU so they could have a guaranteed win!

If the NCAA was to do anything other than the bowl games there would be a lot more flak than you are seeing now. Remember, it wasn't until the 60's that the NFL introduced the Super Bowl! They used to have a similar system to the NCAA.

This from a guy in the heart of BCS country. :rolleyes:

The Superbowl has become the largest sporting event in the world. I think college could do similar things if they would pull their heads out of their collective a$$es.

As far as missing school, the basketball players miss WAY more classes than football players, with 2-3 game road trips. Oh, and have you ever heard of "March Madness"? A whole month set aside to decide who's the best in the country, and another of the largest sporting events out there.

Rickomatic

Grey is cool!
The BC$ is a joke. A playoff system would be easy to put together. And by the way Division 1A college football is the ONLY NCAA sport that does not decide a national championship though some sort of playoff system. All other sports including smaller college football divisions have playoffs. And they play the same number of regular season games as the 'big' boys.

My solution which by the way would never be approved because it works:

(1) Realign all of the D1 conferences so that there are only 10 conferences. (This would obviously leave the BCS conferences pretty much in tact, and would require the mid-majors to realign).

(2) Create a 16-team playoff taking only the conferance champions from each D1 conference, and provide for 6 at-large bids.

(3) Playoffs would start on the first Saturday of December and run through the first Saturday of January. (Thus, by at least the 21st of December, there will only be two teams remaining, and they would have 2 weeks to get ready for the championship).

(4) Use the 4 current BCS bowl games and 3 other bowls (maybe the Holiday, Cotton and Peach?) to play the Elite 8 games, but only allow the current 4 BCS bowls to host the championship game.

(5) In the first round of the playoffs, give home-field advantage to the teams with the best BCS rankings This will ensure that each of the regular season games still means something and it would also reward the best conferences. (For example, Pitt would have to travel to Utah to play since they are only #21 in the BCS poll).

V-DAWG

someday
StrobeNGH said:

You are wrong on a couple things. First BYU is not a sure win for another team, and second, like Coreshot said, basketball players play more than one game a week, so why can't the football players. If football players weren't such wusses maybe they could play more than one game a week and we could find out who really is the weiner. They won't do that because they will get sick of BYU winning every year. Remember '84 baby!!!! The "u" has never done that and never will.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Heart of BCS country . . . Let's see, born in Alaska, raised in Utah, graduated from the U of U, been in Pittsburgh for 4 months, still rooting for the U to beat up on Pitt . . . Yup, that allows you to make such generalized statements about me.

:rolleyes:

BYU . . . I'm a Ute, I am obligated to make fun of them.

Face it, it is easier to put on a basketball tournament than a football tournament. Ever wonder why the NFL doesn't have a playoff series (best of 5 or 7)? It's logistics. Those saying that football players should play more than one game a week have either never played football before, or else held the bench down for their games.

I'd be in favor of a playoff series of some sort, but you can't just wave a wand and create one, it isn't that easy. Even march madness has it's own problems and controversy with the invitation system they have set up. Teams must be invited to the tournament . . . so how can you create a system for college football which would be fair and get a good representation of all the teams?
Also, don't forget that there are only a handful of NFL teams, yet hundreds of college football teams.
If you have a college football playoff then you would ultimately be creating a type of system that you are complaining about with the BCS!

So step back, take a deep breath, and realize that while I do live in Pittsburgh, I do not like the BCS, and I think that a basic playoff schedule for college football would be MORE unfair and biased than the BCS could ever hope to be!

StrobeNGH

no user title
XJFreak said:
The BC$ is a joke. A playoff system would be easy to put together. And by the way Division 1A college football is the ONLY NCAA sport that does not decide a national championship though some sort of playoff system. All other sports including smaller college football divisions have playoffs. And they play the same number of regular season games as the 'big' boys. . . .

Check it out, a well thought out answer!!!

Lavell Edwards wanted to see a limited playoff schedule for the top 12 or so teams in the nation, and keep the other bowl games in tact.

Does anyone know what happened with the congressional hearings about the BCS?

I think the the BCS could work and be fair if they would share the power. Let the bigger schools retain seats at large, and have a lottery for other seats on the BCS of every eligable team in the NCAA. A NCAA United Nations sort of thing. And get rid of the computer!

The biggest problem is that due to the sheer size of NCAA schools, you could never get a completely fair system.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
StrobeNGH said:
Heart of BCS country . . . Let's see, born in Alaska, raised in Utah, graduated from the U of U, been in Pittsburgh for 4 months, still rooting for the U to beat up on Pitt . . . Yup, that allows you to make such generalized statements about me.

Sorry I don't know your life history, guess I should have brushed up on that before I read your locale as PA. :rolleyes: I don't see saying you are in the heart of BCS country as a "generalized statement", it is a fact. You ARE in PA aren't you?

My point is, the only people who don't see a problem with the BCS are the same people who benefit from it. If you are the Ute fan you say you are, you should have a problem with the fact that your team isn't playing for a national championship this year.

Freelancer

Moderhater
Missed school...

Coreshot said:
This from a guy in the heart of BCS country. :rolleyes:

The Superbowl has become the largest sporting event in the world. I think college could do similar things if they would pull their heads out of their collective a$$es.

As far as missing school, the basketball players miss WAY more classes than football players, with 2-3 game road trips. Oh, and have you ever heard of "March Madness"? A whole month set aside to decide who's the best in the country, and another of the largest sporting events out there.

Your exactly right! One of my good friends, then and still now, is Travis Hansen who played for BYU. We were both in the same major and had all the same classes together. When the playoffs or a tournament came around he was never in class. It would be 3-4 weeks where he was not at school. So what does it matter that they miss school for playoffs in football? Like March Madness you get in based upon your season record and play the sweet sixteen, etc down to the National Bowl where the two best teams duke it out for the #1 NCAA team in the nation. :D This would allow us to make predictions and friendly wagers w/friends more enjoyable and fun like March Madness. I am 100% for a playoff system in NCAA football.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Coreshot said:
Sorry I don't know your life history, guess I should have brushed up on that before I read your locale as PA. :rolleyes: I don't see saying you are in the heart of BCS country as a "generalized statement", it is a fact. You ARE in PA aren't you?

My point is, the only people who don't see a problem with the BCS are the same people who benefit from it. If you are the Ute fan you say you are, you should have a problem with the fact that your team isn't playing for a national championship this year.

If you are a ute fan then . . . Wow, that's pretentios of you.
The Utes and their lack of a championship game was not the subject of discussion. The topic was a playoff series for college football.
Had we been discussing this years championship game, then yes, I think it is offensive for a #6 team to play a #21 team with a crappy record. Yes I think the U is getting shafted, and no I do not like the BCS.
HAD we been discussing this years championship game that would have been my response.
However we were discussing the merits of a playoff system for NCAA football, and aside from the BCS being worthless, do you have anything else to say about the matter?
My point was, and is still that a playoff system for the NCAA would not be possible:
Physically, there are way too many NCAA teams to have a real playoff system. At some point you would need a selection committee to invite teams to play in the championship tournament.
At the creation of such a selection committee, then you would have resurrected the BCS beast and given it more power and legitimacy (they would then have the playoffs to hide behind in making their selection legitimate).
Remember when Syracuse made the run for the championship a while back, or Valpariso, or Gonzaga, or the Utes a few years back? Do you think that teams like these would be invited to a championship tournament? Heck, the only reason these teams were invited to the NCAA championship game was because they had to struggle through their conference tournaments and win outright bids to the dance.
But, going back to the physical impossibility topic, to have conference tournaments would take AT LEAST a month. Start those tournaments in December, have a few weeks to prepare for the NCAA football championships, and then another month or so to play for the title and oops, you have just crossed super bowl sunday, which as you previously said, is a huge money maker.
Now tell me, would such a thing ever happen, or would it work?
And re-reading my original post, could you please enlighten me as to where I EVER said the BCS was a good thing? That would be great, thanks.

V-DAWG

someday
StrobeNGH said:
Those saying that football players should play more than one game a week have either never played football before, or else held the bench down for their games.

I played football, and I did not ride the bench, but I can still make the statement that they could play more than one game a week.

I am playfully joking, because frankly I could care less about college sports, pro sports, or anything of the sort. I do find it humorous how involved people get in their opinions---I repeat opinions. There will never be any way to find a true National Champion. Unless every team, played every single other team, and the thousands of teams were slowly eliminated one by one, then there will always be an argument about the simplicity of one teams schedule versus another, etc. etc. etc.

I need to go shower now, I feel dirty wasting time on such a worthless topic when I could be playing X-BOX :greg:

4thefamily

StrobeNGH said:

The kids that play Div II ball have a playoff and a championship game, they too are in school to get an education. Why wouldn't that work o' one with all of the answers.