(Aluminum Welding) Fuel Cell Repair

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Well, looks like the RCI fuel cell bug got me a few weekends ago when I split the seam on my fuel cell after driving 7 hours to get to a bucket list wheeling location. (Montrose Colorado) So, after spending 11 hours driving for the weekend, I was only able to wheel about 100 yards up the first trail when my cell split the seam. So, I'm in need of someone who can or is willing to weld the seam back together. I have done some research and have found what others are doing to keep them from splitting again, but need it welded first. The Cell is still in my buggy right now, (Stuck in it's tray), but should be out this week. Anyone know who can do this? Thanks!!!

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
I modified my tank with a low mounted pickup along with dual pickups inside the tank, so I don't think they will do anything for me. Also, it is so tight in the mount, that I can't have anything on the outside that would make it wider or longer or I would be doing allot more fab work to change the mounting location; and, if I go to that much trouble, I might as well do a better cell. I'm looking at just having it welded up.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Earlier this year I had my RCI crack as well. I just opted to buy a new one in hopes that they've done a better job welding them (according the rumor mill). Ended up giving my old one to a friend who has the ability to weld and reinforce it for his project.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Thanks guys!! I have a line on a machine shop in Orem that has welded a few up. Hopefully they can do it. I also thought about just purchasing a new one in hopes things have gotten better, so if this doesn't work, I will probably just redesign my cargo area and purchase a better cell.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Ended up getting it welded at a place called: Fastlane Machine in Orem. Awesome work and good people. He told me the original weld did not penetrate much at all. He said it kept opening up as he went down the bead, so he had to put a bead from top to bottom. I would recommend this guy if anyone has anything they need done.