Always Carry A Tow Strap

Mug

PHORmerly
Even if you don't use it for vehicle towing, you should always have one with you. I was reminded why I should have one in ALL my vehicles, not just the Truck and Jeep. I had to do without when this large Aspen fell down across the road. It happened about half way between the Timp trail-head up Sundance Canyon and the Cascade Springs turn off. All I had were 4 ratchet tie downs.

We came up to it and we were the only ones there. Others must have turned around when they came upon it, but it was obviously a very recent fall. The culprit, it seems, was the saturated soil from the recent rains. By the time I got the idea and had the tie downs out, there were already about 3-4 cars stacked up in either direction. A couple guys helped hook up the straps, including a friend, Adam, who was unknowingly driving behind us on the way up. I wasn't sure if the straps would hold, but as soon as I got it moving, it slid right along. Thanks FJ80 Low Range! Both lanes cleared, and we were on our way.

Moral: Tie downs can work in a pinch, but better to have a strap (w/out hooks). And, don't wait for the Gov't (FS) to do what you can do for yourself!

Attachments

• FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop2.jpg
    FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 76
  • FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop.jpg
    FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 80
  • FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop3.jpg
    FJ80 Pulling Log Alpine Loop3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 107

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The dude with the dinner plate attached to his belt and big hat wanted to lasso and ride the tree.. You know he did..

rollover

So do you get to turn that time in for service credit hours for U4WDA?

LOL! Nice to have the equipment to move it even if it wasn't ideal.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
from you pictures it looks like a few of you could have picked one end up and moved the whole thing around... but nice to know your method worked out just as well....

And here is my 1500 posting!!!!

Mug

PHORmerly
from you pictures it looks like a few of you could have picked one end up and moved the whole thing around... but nice to know your method worked out just as well....

We were going to, but then I remembered the hernia thread from a few weeks ago. 1,2,3, lift:eek:!

There was about 18' worth of tree top and 12' of trunk that was sticking off the sides of the road. She was large and in charge (the tree)!

Ford Prefect

Funny, the first thing I thought "I would have just driven over the thing and kept going." The second was "I think that you could almost lift, and certainly drag, that thing by hand." Aspen are pretty light after all. Never the less... (I found out how light they are a few weeks ago when I went to put a strap around one, and when I attempted to get the strap around the tree I pushed it right out of the way. Ended up just picking the thing up and moving it by myself. Then again that one was only about twenty feet tall. Perhaps that extra ten feet might have done me in... :D

OH, and sorry about the resurrection of a dead post, I did not realize...

Last edited: