AMC 20 info

harkinoff

something to do...
I've run 1 ton junk my entire wheeling adventure. I'm running a dana 30 and a AMC 20 now. Started tearing the 20 apart tonight. It has Superior shafts and a lockright. I am having some grinding noise from this pile. Started pulling it apart, started with backing plate bolts, got everything loose, figured shaft would pull through backing plate, wrong, bearing and retainer won't fit through hole. Then pulled brakes out of backing plate, then axle bearings and backing plate came out as whole. Bearing has been run dry. Why in the heck did they put an inner seal in so bearing doesn't get lube? Do they make a kit to get outer bearing oiled? seems goofy to have to tear into this thing often and grease bearings... Was this axle put together wrong? "1 piece axle kit" Point me in right direction please. Oh, the bearing is trash, I'm guessing I have to cut off old retainer and repress bearing.

harkinoff

something to do...
Full floater kit is the only solution to outer wheel bearing issues. Superior shafts take a superior shaft bearing I found out. Randy at Advanced was very helpful as he always has for me :) This summer I will be going back to montana and retrieving my other 1 ton scout and making the little Cj 1 ton... So much for keeping this one a pavement pounder he he he hee! What a mistake on selling the ole Scout... You were right Shawn

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I've run 1 ton junk my entire wheeling adventure. I'm running a dana 30 and a AMC 20 now. Started tearing the 20 apart tonight. It has Superior shafts and a lockright. I am having some grinding noise from this pile. Started pulling it apart, started with backing plate bolts, got everything loose, figured shaft would pull through backing plate, wrong, bearing and retainer won't fit through hole. Then pulled brakes out of backing plate, then axle bearings and backing plate came out as whole. Bearing has been run dry. Why in the heck did they put an inner seal in so bearing doesn't get lube? Do they make a kit to get outer bearing oiled? seems goofy to have to tear into this thing often and grease bearings... Was this axle put together wrong? "1 piece axle kit" Point me in right direction please. Oh, the bearing is trash, I'm guessing I have to cut off old retainer and repress bearing.

It's been a real long time(almost 20 years ago), but I once ran a 20 with summers bros one piece shafts They had a grease fitting to make bearing lube fast and easy( they also ran a seal to keep gear lube out of the bearing, because the axle can and will leak if you don't). Greased them once or twice a year and I never had a problem. You should easily be able to find a spot to drill and tap.
If it was me I would be putting the shafts and locker up for sale and getting the better rear in there as soon as I could. The worst part of that axle (I found out after putting way to much money into it) is the housing itself.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Full floater kit is the only solution to outer wheel bearing issues. Superior shafts take a superior shaft bearing I found out. Randy at Advanced was very helpful as he always has for me :) This summer I will be going back to montana and retrieving my other 1 ton scout and making the little Cj 1 ton... So much for keeping this one a pavement pounder he he he hee! What a mistake on selling the ole Scout... You were right Shawn

cool...:D