amc 20 question

FatTony

i broke one of my axle shafts and i don't know what model I have. I know that its not the wide-trac. The shaft length is 2.35"

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
What vehicle is it under? Did it come stock under that vehicle?

The AMC 20 that is typically referred to as wide-track came under CJs from 1982 to 1986. The other CJ option is the narrow-track which came under CJs from 1976 to 1981. There are also AMC 20's that came under full size Jeeps (Grand Wagoneers and Cherokees). There is also a version that can with the Quadratrac and has an offset differential.

If you have a width (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

FatTony

i don't know what it came out of, but i have it under a 89 comanche. the differential is center. i bought new shafts but they are not the right lenght.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Did you break the AMC 20 at the splines? Usually the wheel end of them is the problem. Did you break the stock shafts or are these aftermarket 1-piece?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
what is the best way to get out a broken axle shaft out of a currie

????
Need more info. Is this an AMC 20 from a metric oneton MJ? If so it is one piece factory shafts. Sort of an oddball, but the most decent amc20 out there.
As for the stub left in the carrier, you can try to pull it out with a long magnet, pull the cover and help push it if the magnet won't grab it....

FatTony

its a two piece

Attachments

• 100_1352.JPG
    100_1352.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1350.JPG
    100_1350.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1351.JPG
    100_1351.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 14

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
what is the best way to get out a broken axle shaft out of a currie

Ahhhh, missing the R and U should be an A, I was thinking "Currie."

BFH Pull the pin, letting the sides/spiders come out, then tap it out.

Yep, looks like the Metric one ton AMC 20. MEPCO had a bunch a few years ago. Call teraplus, maybe Carl or Bryson could find a shaft burried somewhere....

FatTony

i need new axle shafts for a 80-86 Wagoneer amc 20 29 spline. does anyone one know where to get alloy shafts. will the stock one hold up

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Does Teraflex have shafts in stock? When I was shopping for them they had them in stock. Will they hold up is a tough question without more info. They should hold up better than the ones you just broke. How did you break the current one? what size tires? how heavy is the rig? how heavy is the foot?

FatTony

36" tires and just a jeep comanche, not that heavy. they had stock ones but i don't want to just brake them in the first ten minutes.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
If it where me I would go with the alloy shafts, and start thinking about an axle upgrade sometime. I think if you know the limits you will be ok. The axle is ok, you are making it better. Next weak links are bent housings or tubes spun in the diff. But the next guy will probably argue to not put any more money into the 20 and look for something stronger.