American Fork Book

401fsj

Someone was working on a book of the canyon. Its been a while since i have been on the web. But I cant find anything About it now. Sounded really cool. It was gnu have maps pics and history. Im interested If such a book is out there. Anyone know anything?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Still in the works and I am making progress albeit slow. I presented at the National Historic Mining initiative conference last summer and that really kicked me back into action on the project as well as hooked me up with some new leads. I'm still a ways off on a printed anything but I've got a presentation I could do (best done up the canyon really) that I would be happy to share if someone wants to organize it. LMK

pELYgroso

'Merica
Kurt, that would be a great presentation I'm sure! I'd be willing to help organize! Would permits, etc be needed, or could we just go wheel Forest lake trail and have a "campfire discussion" or something of the sort?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Would permits, etc be needed, or could we just go wheel Forest lake trail and have a "campfire discussion" or something of the sort?

It would simply be a meet & greet type deal, no defined 4-wheeling other than to get yourself there and seeing as everyone pays their own user fee coming through the canyon its good to go.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Curt,

Will your book contain information about specific mines in A.F. Canyon? I recently found out that my great grandpa had a mine up there but have no idea where it is. It'd be interesting to find some info about it.

Even if that's not in the book, I can't wait to get a copy. :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Curt,

Will your book contain information about specific mines in A.F. Canyon? I recently found out that my great grandpa had a mine up there but have no idea where it is. It'd be interesting to find some info about it.

Even if that's not in the book, I can't wait to get a copy. :greg:

Its mostly going to contain info about the mines, some miners, etc. Do you know what the mine your Grandpa had was? What was his name and at what time would he have been working in the cabin?

401fsj

Keep up the good work. I also have a grandfather with a little history up there with the mining, He was actually a little boy and his father worked in a mine. I cant remember the name of the mine or the details but he lived up there for a few years. Unfortunatly an avalanch killed the owner and the mine never recoverd. My grandfather passed away last month so i cant get any more info from him but I will be asking around.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Keep up the good work.

This is encouraging... make me re-dedicated to work on it. Of course the paying work has to come first but this is funner.

I also have a grandfather with a little history up there with the mining, He was actually a little boy and his father worked in a mine. I cant remember the name of the mine or the details but he lived up there for a few years. Unfortunatly an avalanch killed the owner and the mine never recoverd. My grandfather passed away last month so i cant get any more info from him but I will be asking around.

That would likely have been the Miller Hill mines, the owner George Tyng was killed as noted when an avalanche crushed his cabin. The call for help went out and miners from neighboring mines had soon jumped in the effort to save George. Sadly when they dug him out they found his head had been pierced with nail. He was dead. His body we sledded out of the canyon, they then read his will and found that he wanted to be buried on the small flat below the mine. They took him back up the canyon and honored his wish. You can still visit his grave to this day, its marked with a little marker and a white picket fence overlooking Mineral Basin.

What was your grandfathers name? I have some mine documentation, payrolls, etc that his name might show up on. LMK

pELYgroso

'Merica
This is encouraging... make me re-dedicated to work on it. Of course the paying work has to come first but this is funner.

That would likely have been the Miller Hill mines, the owner George Tyng was killed as noted when an avalanche crushed his cabin. The call for help went out and miners from neighboring mines had soon jumped in the effort to save George. Sadly when they dug him out they found his head had been pierced with nail. He was dead. His body we sledded out of the canyon, they then read his will and found that he wanted to be buried on the small flat below the mine. They took him back up the canyon and honored his wish. You can still visit his grave to this day, its marked with a little marker and a white picket fence overlooking Mineral Basin.

What was your grandfathers name? I have some mine documentation, payrolls, etc that his name might show up on. LMK

this explanation makes me even more excited for when your book is ready! I love this type of history but don't have much knowledge of the AF canyon area. Are there any black market copies around that we can get our hands on?? :D

sixstringsteve

are those the stories he tells you around the campfire before you go to bed? :D

Kurt hasn't hit it big time 'till his novels have vampires caught in a twisted love triangle with naive non-vampire girls.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wait 'till you read some of Kurt's expedition romance novels... pretty steamy stuff.

... and then Lebron James continued to masterfully choke as he had done so many nights before, only this time Dwyane Wade wasn't there to catch the dreamboat and the two fell into oblivion... :rofl: