American fork canyon?

sixstringsteve

everything is open up there, but it's super saturated with snow runoff and all the rain we've had recently. The second half of Forest Lake trail is completely covered in snow. Right where it comes out of the trees, before the short dirt hill to the lake, the trail is buried under 3' of snow. The trail is extremely wet and if people could wait a few weeks it'll really help the trail out.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So, that brings up a point. Not that I'm advocating going up there right now to trash around in the mud and dig some giant ruts in the trail, but why does the FS open those trails before they're ready? Do the FS employees who make that call have a different idea than we do about what constitutes trail damage, or is there another reason?

Troop92

Yup, fingers crossed that they will not open it until the trails have dried out. Soggy spring trails equals TONS of damage. Hopefully they don't open them until mid June at the earliest.

Agreed. If you want a mud fix, hit up Baccaus, west desert, or some other area. Leave the trails alone.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
So, that brings up a point. Not that I'm advocating going up there right now to trash around in the mud and dig some giant ruts in the trail, but why does the FS open those trails before they're ready? Do the FS employees who make that call have a different idea than we do about what constitutes trail damage, or is there another reason?

Because there is only one main gate in the canyon and since the lower area were everybody wants to camp this weekend is good and dry they will open the gate.

user

Driving on 3 feet of snow doesn't sound too damaging to the trails to me ;)

Lol!! I personally don't understand all the hostility towards the mud. However I grew up in Florida we all come from different walks of life and everyone like different things I guess. All my family down there gives me crap for getting into rock crawling lol. My uncle said, "What do you need to drive up rocks for?? You trying to catch spiders, or are you running from snakes"?? Lol. Crazy how different things are different places that you go. Just like if you go right next door to colorado weed is completely legal but here in utah you can go to prison for it if you have enough. Not to mention the thousand other laws/rules that are different there. Just crazy to think about sometimes lol.

Rock Taco

Lol!! I personally don't understand all the hostility towards the mud. However I grew up in Florida we all come from different walks of life and everyone like different things I guess. All my family down there gives me crap for getting into rock crawling lol. My uncle said, "What do you need to drive up rocks for?? You trying to catch spiders, or are you running from snakes"?? Lol. Crazy how different things are different places that you go. Just like if you go right next door to colorado weed is completely legal but here in utah you can go to prison for it if you have enough. Not to mention the thousand other laws/rules that are different there. Just crazy to think about sometimes lol.

In this case its not that we dont like mud its that driving in the mud is considered trail destruction in this area and can get the trails shut down in a hurry.

user

In this case its not that we dont like mud its that driving in the mud is considered trail destruction in this area and can get the trails shut down in a hurry.

I see. That's understandable it sure would suck if they closed it back down! ! Not a lot of places to go around salt lake as it is.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
In this case its not that we dont like mud

Yes it is.

its that driving in the mud is considered trail destruction in this area and can get the trails shut down in a hurry.

Ok, that too.

I hate mud. I hate cleaning up after wheeling in mud. I hate wrenching on my truck when I didn't clean up after the last time I wheeled in mud. I hate knowing that I'm leaving giant ruts that'll be there all summer and make the road crappy for farmers and ranchers who are trying to make a living. Mud is the devil.

user

Yes it is.

Ok, that too.

I hate mud. I hate cleaning up after wheeling in mud. I hate wrenching on my truck when I didn't clean up after the last time I wheeled in mud. I hate knowing that I'm leaving giant ruts that'll be there all summer and make the road crappy for farmers and ranchers who are trying to make a living. Mud is the devil.

I can understand the cleaning part. But I wouldn't ever be out tearing up someone's land. We have mudholes out there that are just like your trails here. A designated area that's made just for wheeling in. I wouldn't never go tear up someone's land or possibly harm their livelihood or there source of income. Idk I guess maybe it's the challenge just like you guys picking the perfect line to make it up the trail. Kinda the same concept in the mudhole. But like I said tomato, tommatto :)

sixstringsteve

Yup, I have no issue Witg people wheeling in mud holes in FL or any other designated place. Mud can be super fun to drive in.

bamacpl

I was up there all weekend & the trails actually looked good....ppl aren't tearing them up at all. Even up Forest Lake---very muddy & can't get to the top.

zukijames

:(

no front drive line.

went off the road in the mud to avoid the snow.

they were living in the suburban but had reached the 14 day camping limit so were trying to get to the midway side to camp some more