american fork canyon

Manlaan

We took the razors and wildcat from midway to Forrest lake and back. Fun trip. But I was sad to see the trail going up the hill out of the creek groomed and covered in gravel. All large rocks removed. Oh well I guess that is what some call progress.

Really?!? That's messed up :( How far up did they groom it?

I'm a bit confused about the free piece as well... Granted, I have a pass that will be good until the end of the season, but I'd still like to be informed for when I take up others.

From the map, it appears that they're only charging a fee for the alpine loop and up to Tibble Fork. I'm guessing they'll want you to pay if you want to use any of the facilities, parking, or camp sites, but probably no need to if you're just driving through. What about airing down at Tibble Fork? Camping in non-yellow areas? Just a little confused.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We took the razors and wildcat from midway to Forrest lake and back. Fun trip. But I was sad to see the trail going up the hill out of the creek groomed and covered in gravel. All large rocks removed. Oh well I guess that is what some call progress.

Huh? I didn't notice it being any different than it was last year. The rock gardens just past the trail kiosk are still there, and still fun for a mild rig like mine. Was that initial climb out of the creek ever technical?

sixstringsteve

I've never heard of a lifetime state pass, that's cool. My friend has a son who has Down Syndrome, and he can only get the national pass. I think state parks are 50% off for him.

mombobuggy

I would not say technical. But at least it had some sort of large rocks on it now it looks like a driveway. notice the different color of the rock for the first 50 yards. I guess I need to put 31s on for A.F. canyon to keep it interesting. 18 years ago there was some good wheeling up there then came the bulldozers literally now a decent driver can take a honda up most of the trails.

sixstringsteve

yeah, AF Canyon isn't the most technical area for buggies. For the past 5 years, the first 50 yards after the river have been like that. I haven't been up this year yet, but in years past there wasn't anything bigger than a basketball on that section. In fact, aside from the 10-15 foot boulder section right after that, there's nothing really challenging about Forest Lake. It's still a cool trail though.

Last edited:

zukijames

yeah, AF Canyon isn't the most technical area for buggies. For the past 5 years, the first 50 yards after the river have been like that. I haven't been up this year yet, but in years past there wasn't anything bigger than a basketball on that section. In fact, aside from the 10-15 foot boulder section right after that, there's nothing really challenging about Forest Lake. It's still a cool trail though.

I have not been. Wheeling that long maybe it's been like 3 but I know when I first went up the part after the water crossing was not as easy as now.

maintaining trails and making them easier probably = more business.

there are alot more weekend warriors on 4wheelers than there is guys with buggys. But it does kinda suck

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Sorry, but there is nothing up AF Canyon even worth bringing a buggy to. A good driver can do every obstacle up there with 33's and no lockers, I used to do it all the time in the black Jeep. It's a scenic, fun trail system that's a nice break away from the heat of summer.

Cunnart

I'm going to hit alpine hwy tomorrow 6/1 and was wondering if anyone else wants to go. We could hit the canyon trails as well. I'm in a stock Jk wrangler. Was going to head out around 10am

OB1

I'm heading up to Silver lake Saturday with the wife to do some fishing. I would like to do a little wheeling to while we're there but this will be my first time up AFC and don't know the trails. Can I get a map somewhere? I'll check the maps on this forum. If anyone else is heading up there send me a text and we could maybe meet up. 801 695-Five,nine,eight,nine.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm heading up to Silver lake Saturday with the wife to do some fishing. I would like to do a little wheeling to while we're there but this will be my first time up AFC and don't know the trails. Can I get a map somewhere? I'll check the maps on this forum. If anyone else is heading up there send me a text and we could maybe meet up. 801 695-Five,nine,eight,nine.

Ask for a map at the gate it's free and always a good idea to have with you when you are in the area.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

Post up if you catch anything, I have been wanting to try fishing up there. There is also an upper lake you can hike to from the parking area.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Post up if you catch anything, I have been wanting to try fishing up there. There is also an upper lake you can hike to from the parking area.

I've never fished Silver Lake Flat, but the hike to Silver Lake is great and I pulled a couple decent browns out of there last year.