an email I recieved

my4thjeep

DorkAlert said:
Yeah..Mickey Rooney is good...windows pre-2000 pro sucks bad...I have to deal with the crappy editions all day long. What really drives me nuts is you still have IT departments using ME(Mistake Edition) and NT.

As an IT guy I luckily have avoided the Misery Edition. However its the cheap CEO's not giving us anything close to the budget we need to keep things running. In the last three years my boss has asked for the bare minimum to operate a company succcessfully. All three years we have received 30% of that. Thus we still have pentium II 300's running 98.

DorkAlert

my4thjeep said:
As an IT guy I luckily have avoided the Misery Edition. However its the cheap CEO's not giving us anything close to the budget we need to keep things running. In the last three years my boss has asked for the bare minimum to operate a company succcessfully. All three years we have received 30% of that. Thus we still have pentium II 300's running 98.

You should give them a taste of thier on medicine and install 95 on all their machines with NIC cards that only can be set to 10 half and good ol' 40MB hard drives...after wasen't BIll GAtes that said we would never need mor than 30k for storage...he was refering to the 5 inch floppys i think...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
<hijack in progress> :D
Maybe I'm just lost... Businesses running windows ME?
We're not talking mom and pop with one or two computers in the whole place but a business with an IT department? :eek:

Sorry it's been 3 years since I touched anything smaller than a 650...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Spork said:
We're not talking mom and pop with one or two computers in the whole place but a business with an IT department? :eek:

Aaaahhhhhh man somebody hijacked my thread -_- :shawn:

:rofl: :rofl: :D :p

DorkAlert

Spork said:

Oh yeah..its lame...there are IT dpts out there that torture thier employees with 95...I have to deal with them every day...I am suprised at the quantity...I do tech support for guest in hotels trying to use the high speed access...

Caleb

DorkAlert said:
Oh yeah..its lame...there are IT dpts out there that torture thier employees with 95...I have to deal with them every day...I am suprised at the quantity...I do tech support for guest in hotels trying to use the high speed access...

personally I think ME is worse than 95...ME is better looking but IMo its a cluster fawk:D

my4thjeep

DorkAlert said:
You should give them a taste of thier on medicine and install 95 on all their machines with NIC cards that only can be set to 10 half and good ol' 40MB hard drives...after wasen't BIll GAtes that said we would never need mor than 30k for storage...he was refering to the 5 inch floppys i think...

you laugh but recently we upgraded a pentium 90 with 850 mb drive. Its all that was needed to run our point of sale computers.
Most of our machines have hard drives under 8 gb. When I started 2 years ago 25% of the machines still used 95. Some of it has to do with the fact that all they need the machine to do is run wordprocessing, email and dos utilities. Many of the machines couldn't be upgraded because they couldn't run some of the software they needed expecially xp or 2k. The head of the company complains at what he has which is state of the art when compared to company averages. He is a big believer that he needs the biggest and best and everyone else can just suffer. Example: He has 2 of the 20 flat screens we have. one for his work machine and one for his laptop because the screen was too small. Ok we have people using 15 inch monitors that are 8+ years old.

DorkAlert

my4thjeep said:
you laugh but recently we upgraded a pentium 90 with 850 mb drive. Its all that was needed to run our point of sale computers.
Most of our machines have hard drives under 8 gb. When I started 2 years ago 25% of the machines still used 95. Some of it has to do with the fact that all they need the machine to do is run wordprocessing, email and dos utilities. Many of the machines couldn't be upgraded because they couldn't run some of the software they needed expecially xp or 2k. The head of the company complains at what he has which is state of the art when compared to company averages. He is a big believer that he needs the biggest and best and everyone else can just suffer. Example: He has 2 of the 20 flat screens we have. one for his work machine and one for his laptop because the screen was too small. Ok we have people using 15 inch monitors that are 8+ years old.

That sounds like a sucky tale.

From a money saving stand point I can see the reasoning, minus the behavior of the CEO,( I believe CEOs should set examples) however; guests at hotels, usually business people, that want to use the high speed should probably have at least 2000pro if they don't want any snags. I just find it funny when we go to mess with thier settings, like link speed for example, they get pissed because some dude in the IT dept(no offense) said it should work fine. Really though, I can't tell the guest that thier computer sucks...grin and bear it.

B-RAD

James K said:
I don't know if anyone else has gott'n this.

I thought it was a good read and "I" like it.

Andy Rooney said on 60 minutes a few weeks back: (for those of you that
don't know Andy Rooney, he is a 82 year old US TV commentator.)
I agree with the statements but Andy Rooney ripped this off. This is verry simular to a letter written by Ted Nugent, after he was being ripped on by a coupple of politions and reporters for being a gun toting 4 wheel drivin rock star it was printed in a couple of newspapers.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
B-RAD said:
James K said:
I agree with the statements but Andy Rooney ripped this off. This is verry simular to a letter written by Ted Nugent, after he was being ripped on by a coupple of politions and reporters for being a gun toting 4 wheel drivin rock star it was printed in a couple of newspapers.

Good call Brad, I remembered alot of this from the letter in your office.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
B-RAD said:

I can see Nugent saying it more then I can Rooney.

troutbum

cubi-kill
My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you could leave the
countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

Umm techinically I think they did.

I also pity the poor. :rolleyes: