An expedition via Subaru

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Not too many updates on the car. However I did learn (after I bought it of course) that the DL models didn't come with a low range in the t-case, and they only had the 4 speed transmission

The GL's are pimp, even better, a GL-10 with turbo! :greg: I'm sure it won't be too tough to throw in a GL drivetrain, good luck.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I drove to Skagway and back with the family years ago ... 3 week trip ... a friend noted that driving to Alaska is like driving to the moon ... it was (and Skagway is 1000 miles short of Anchorage) ... but all of it through incredible country.

Wish I could do it again! We had a big can of pepper spray for the intention of some bear protection. Canada will not even allow you to take the spray, let-a-lone a gun.

The idea of sleeping in a car for bear protection is silly

Just watch the beginning of this video (see the window frames folded down).

http://mms.nps.gov/ram/pwr/fdvideo.mov

They are into the car in SECONDS. You don't want to be in the car with them.

<edit>
and these are tiny brown bears, not the true Alaskan "Brown" bear (real big grizzlies)
</edit>

Your 357 hand gun would only piss an Alaskan brown bear off, really. I think the rangers typically carry 12 gauge shotguns with slugs to kill, buck shot to try and scare off.

Sleep a good distance from your food ... and your car

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I recently bought an S&W .40 cal sa (though not a huge increase in caliber) that I plan on taking, and I have bear deterrent as well. That being said I would have a very hard time ever shooting at a bear unless I felt that it was either me or it. Planning for Bear incounters is a serious thing that I won't be taking lightly--there was a guy camping less than a half mile away from me this year in Montana that was pulled by his head out of his tent by a Brown Bear. His food was stored properly and everything :eek: As sad as it sounds I'd rather be killed by a hungry bear in Alaska than die working in a cheese factory :hickey:

Anyway I've been really kicking around the idea of taking my Cummins instead of the car. I'm starting to think that their milage would be very close to being the same, and there is sooo much more room under my shell vs. a hatch back. Plus the truck is pretty much ready to go meaning I won't have to deal with swapping out the entire drivetrain at the last minute! :rofl: What do you think?

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
My father retired a couple years ago. He and his brother took an RV and did what you described above. They just got back. They spent the last two months in Alaska.

My dad said it was the best time he has ever had!

Go for it. If you have the skills you will always be able to find another job doing what you know.

Your wife sounds more supportive than my mom was..... it was not the best time my mother ever had, she stayed home. :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
10 years ago I flew to Fairbanks and drove to SLC with two friends. We had 2 rifles with us. Canada did not mind the long guns, but we forgot to remove some handgun ammo from the truck before we left Fairbanks. They tore our truck apart looking for a handgun. This was in early February.

muleskinner

I recently bought an S&W .40 cal sa (though not a huge increase in caliber) that I plan on taking, and I have bear deterrent as well.

Your 357 MAG is WAYYY better than the 40. I'd take something like a 44 MAG or a 454 Casull if it were me. (and spray) Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Sounds like a great tirp. I grew up in Alaska and it always gets me excited when someone does this kind of trip. My two buddies and I drove a Geo Metro from Anchorage to L.A and back in about two weeks. We went from Anchorage to Portland in 2 days. And we even slept in that Metro. A Suby would have been nice.

Just a few thoughts IMO:

May is too early. For some of the areas you are talking about, it would be like trying to drive to Forest Lake in AF canyon in March. A lot of snow!

In June or July, you wont need to ever turn your head lights on. In fact as you get up around Fairbanks and north of there, the sun will never set. In Anchorage it sets for a few hours, but never really gets dark.

Most people that I have ever talked to carry .357's out in the "bush". Dog sled racers and such seem to prefer it, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter much.

I've never known the road to Prudhoe Bay (if I remember right, it's the Dalton Highway, goes from around Fairbanks straight up to the top.) to be open to the public. It's kind of a oil rig only road. I guess that's where the broken windshield would come from if you got behind one of them.

I'm not sure what to say about bears. We stopped one time in the middle of the AL-Can and petted some black bears that were eating berries on the side of the road. That was pretty cool. One time while fishing on the Kenai, we had close to 10 brown bears on the other side of the river fishing as well. Hate to say it but they did much better then we did that day. It wasn't scarry untill they'd get about half way across the river, then we'd start to get out of the river and let them do their thing. One other time we were walking back up a trial after spending a day on the river. Out of nowhere a cub (pretty sure it was a brown) came running full speed down the trail. It brushed up against me as it past. That was pretty scarry. But we were more scared because of the mother. Which we ended up never seeing. So I've had some run ins, but I've never carried a gun or anything, and never felt like I was in danger. I don't think you should be to nervous about bears. Belive it or not, but you'll do just as much good with a good wisstle (sp?) around your neck as you will a big gun in your pocket.

A great local hike to get you feeling like you're in the Alaskan wilderness is Flat Top mountain right in Anchorage. There wont be any tourists up there. But as you get around the back of the mountain all you see is more mountains. It's awsome. And it's only half a day's hike in and out. Longer if you want. That is where I found a small run off lake with ice still floating in it. Yes, we went for a swim. No you can't breath when it's that cold. No, you'll never see your junk agian!

Man this is making me homesick. Got room for one more? I'd make a good guide.

Sorry for such a long post.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Your 357 MAG is WAYYY better than the 40.

Good call... I was confused meaning the .40 was bigger compared to the .38 specials i usually fire in the .357 because they are cheaper. The Mags definatly pack more of a punch! :D

<Quoting UNSTUCK>

Sounds like a great tirp.

May is too early. For some of the areas you are talking about, it would be like trying to drive to Forest Lake in AF canyon in March. A lot of snow!

It is early, but we plan on spending some time near the coast before heading way North. We'll definatly have the cold weather gear though.

I've never known the road to Prudhoe Bay (if I remember right, it's the Dalton Highway, goes from around Fairbanks straight up to the top.) to be open to the public. It's kind of a oil rig only road. I guess that's where the broken windshield would come from if you got behind one of them.

It's funny a guy I work with and his friends were headed out of Fairbanks on the Dalton towards Prudhoe. He was driving an 80's Chevrolet four door dually 4x4, and I guess it's common practice to completely remove the fan and cover the radiator with cardboard. Anyway he said it was so cold that they had to pull over almost every mile and floor the gas pedel to warm the engine up! I asked him how cold he though it was--all he said was "Cold enough to freeze and break the bottles of beer in the back seat!"

I don't think you should be to nervous about bears. Belive it or not, but you'll do just as much good with a good wisstle (sp?) around your neck as you will a big gun in your pocket.

Agreed ;)

Sorry for such a long post.

Heck I could hear stories about AK all day! :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Living in Anchorage we used to put cardboard in front of our radiators. It made for much faster warm ups. Ground Hogs Day ment nothing up there. You knew winter was over when your car would over heat. Then we would remove the cardboard.
Most of the oil rigs and equipment up north have remote oiling systems allowing you to change the oil without shutting them down. In the colder months they never turn them off because they wont get started again.

Have you found out for sure if you can even drive up to the north end?

FYI: Denali is visable from the park like 5 days out of the year do to clouds. Of all the times I was up there, I never saw the mountain. But on any clear day in Anchorage (360 miles to the south) you can see the upper half just fine. A lot of tourist are dissapointed when they dont see the mountain.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I asked him how cold he though it was--all he said was "Cold enough to freeze and break the bottles of beer in the back seat!"

Reminds me of the time my buddy took home a girl friend that had had a bit to much to drink that night. Just before he pulled up to her house, she puked all over the floor of his truck. Well by the time he got home, he was too tired to do anything about it. So the puke froze to the carpet of the truck and was there untill sping when he finely had to clean it up. (I would have cleaned it anyways, he was just like that.)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well it’s May already and I haven’t felt this down in awhile. The friend I was planning on going with decided to tell me in late February (big surprise!) that his wife was a few months along. She should be having her baby a few days after we had originally planned on leaving this month. Good for them though… I just wish he would have told me a few months earlier--I almost lost my position at work :-\

With the economy the way it is and the fact I probably would have to move to find a new job I guess it’s all for the best, and I just have to accept it. I guess I need some different goals because for the last year I did nothing but revolve my life around this trip, and now I feel like it was all just a waste.

I’ve really hit a crossroads in the way I view four wheeling. When I was younger it was all about the destination not the journey there and now it could not be more opposite. On my last trip to Moab I was very happy with my recent modifications, but the whole time I wished that I had pulled it down on a trailer. Finding a decent car hauler costs a 1K at best, and I thought why? So I can pull it down to Moab maybe twice a year, and try to avoid the law while I drive it anywhere else? Lame...

My Toyota is too far gone to ever be street legal again so it is parked for now. I need something that can pass an inspection and take me my family to all the places I love in moderate comfort. If I have to avoid Pritchett and the other hardcore trails that’s fine too—I’m in it for the scenery and time away.

I’ve been slowly putting time into my 92 Dodge CTD. My plan is to build a truck that I can take exploring with the family, and with a small lift, two lockers, and gear I shouldn’t have too much trouble doing just that.

Anyway with the cash I saved for Alaska I would really like to take a few weeks off this fall and explore Montana and the East part of Washington. I went to Glacier NP in my old Tacoma, and had an absolute blast. I plan on starting a build thread, but for now I’m just gathering parts. Some day I'll make it to Alaska :)

sixb

Will work for beer!
I have a buddy that comes up from Tx every summer and we usually take a 5 day fishing trip somewhere and this summer it was gonna be Glacier np but we may not do it this year due to the economy. There is always next year though.

Edit;
After re-reading your last post I think you should really try to enjoy what you have instead of being down on what you can't have or do. It's like that country song that says your gonna miss this some day. Alaska isin't going anywhere anytime soon. Yeah the economy sucks, but it sounds like you have a good job and get to live in a place where you have some elbow room and can grow food.

Thats how i see it for what it's worth.

Last edited: