Anbody ever bought a home through a short sale?

sibeta

I am trying to find out if anybody has bought a home through a short sale? There is a home i looked at that the bank is doing through a short sale. I have never purchased a home through a short sale. Any advice or ideas? Should i serioulsy low ball the bank with an offer. Any help would be appreciated.

cambam

I have bought a few short sale homes. Get a good agent to represent you, and it can work out well. Try and do it yourself, and it is a pain in the a$$

Caleb

Generally once the bank has the home in their possession, there isn't a ton of wiggle room on the price. They will usually set the price they are willing to accept for a short sale and that's that. Sometimes you can get a little more off but not much most of the time. They are already taking a loss on the home on a short sale. Also, generally with short sales, the bank will not do anything to the home, meaning you get it as-is. If it needs a new roof, that's your problem, so be sure to get an inspection and make sure the issues you find are issues YOU are willing to deal with. My brother is buying a short sale right now, granted the one he's buying has never been lived in so the house issues are not really anything to worry about for him.

You can low ball them all you want, but the most likely reply is going to be telling you to take a hike. :) If you low ball them, most people think they will come back at what they will take, this isn't always the case, quite often they will just refuse the offer and not counter. They don't want to waste their time and money on something they are already loosing money on.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Bought my recent house through a shot sale in late novemeber. I started the bidding process in early october on this particular house. It had sold for over 210k in 2006 and the bank listed it for almost 250 k and it had been on the market for almost 6 months as a normal sale then enter foreclosure and short sale status. The price had dropped down to 160K as a starting bid. I threw out 125k, and was shut down lol. You gotta try though. It does take a while to here if the bank accepts your offer. A short sale has to go through the still getting closed on owner and the bank, becuase usually in short sale the bank will sometimes forgive the peoples debt just to get out of it. It took about 1.5 or 2 weeks to here back that it was denied. So I put in a bif of 135k again denied. Then 142k denied finally my last bid that I was willing to put down on this house was 148k. They accepted. I was going to walk after that anyways.

The main thing is the selling agent had direct contact with the bank which this was a a faster short sale I heard. About 1.5 to 2 months. If the selling agent doesn't have direct com with the bank it can take much longer to talk to the person that makes the deal, or they can just ignore you. This whole time I had placed bids on about 5 other homes, all were playing the same games, but I wasn't in a hurry. They play the games so you should just don't get caught up in it. It will piss you off I'm sure, as it did me. It's pretty difficult to get financed now I hear, but I didn't have any problems as I have very good credit and I put down almost 20k.

Not sure what the market is doing now, I hear it has gone up just a little bit, but the house I got, which is my first house. Is located in western Kearns in a decent nieghborhoos, my street is nice. 4 bedrooms, 2 bath, 2 kitchens and 2 living rooms, with completed basement. Mine like all the short sales I looked at needed some work, before you could move in. They are all sold as is. So I still haven't moved in yet, buts it's close and the exterior will need some decent work in the spring. I have torn out all the old carpets/ pad, remodeled the bath room upstairs, fixed multiple leaks, fixed sheet rock holes and water damaged pieces. Tore out old cabinets, tiled the counter tops, all I need to do now is finished new base board moldings, finish the bathroom, and carpet before I can move in. Comparables in about the same not remodeled state are still selling but slowly for 195-205 k. without a garage. Mine has an enclosed car port, and a 2 car garage in the back. The appraiser said that after I fix it up it should appraise for about 225-240 easy. In this market, we will see I have about 8 k in repairs so far, post up any other q's if anybody has them.

sibeta

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a short sale isnt as bad as i thought it might be. I have a few other questions. Since the bank is the seller. Did the bank end up paying the commission to the realtors or did you have to pay for that and also did you have to pay for things that the seller usually pays for like appraisal etc? I just assumed the bank wouldnt fork out any more money for that stuff and that the buyer would have to do that.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yes because it is bank owed pretty much you end up paying the whole closing costs including appraisal. If I rememebr correctly I still think the bank paid the commisions.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
My brother is buying a short sale right now, granted the one he's buying has never been lived in so the house issues are not really anything to worry about for him.
QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Both of My homes have been new builds, and both builders could have cared less about coming back to fix things after the closing was over. It is true that a newer home may give you less problems, but I hope he doesn't think he'll be without any.;)

Caleb

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Both of My homes have been new builds, and both builders could have cared less about coming back to fix things after the closing was over. It is true that a newer home may give you less problems, but I hope he doesn't think he'll be without any.;)
Then you've had shitty builders ;) I've built two homes and I've had the builder fix issues with both, and both did it without any issue at all. Comparing a new unlived in home to a foreclosed run-down home is comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I was telemarketing short sales for mortgage broker here, interesting to here how it works on the buyer of end.

I'm still really happy about my purchase, just wish I could fix it faster. Plus a short sale or foreclosure give the buyer a good chance to make some equity when the market turns around.

The house we bought in Tooele was a short sale. Yes it did take about a 1.5 months but after all said and done we were happy. Got it for a little less then the asking. So I guess the point is have a good realtor and be a little patient.

Clutch

I'm an agent with 3 short sale listing right now and most banks are really unwilling to work quickly through the process. One thing I have learned through this, is any mortgage that has PMI is 10 times as likely to fail then one that is not. With the whole bailout, most banks are not as willing to work it out.
I started the 3 listings in Sept and am still waiting for an answer on one of them. Most short sales fail because the buyer are unwilling to wait it out and in a declining market, the home can lose value (in some areas) while you are waiting for approval. You can usually get just as good of a deal working in the retail market with much less hassle.
The best advise here is get a good agent to represent you and also make sure you are pre-qualified before you start looking.