Angels Arch/Salt creek canyon

93yj

I saw some pictures of Angels Arch back in the early 80’s, when my dad could, and would lead a couple of jeeps and broncos up the creek.
Has anybody heard or if there have been any updates for the Salt creek canyon re-opening in the needles district? Or is it forever to be closed, and off limits to anybody that doesn’t hike 30 miles round trip?

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
I saw some pictures of Angels Arch back in the early 80’s, when my dad could, and would lead a couple of jeeps and broncos up the creek.
Has anybody heard or if there have been any updates for the Salt creek canyon re-opening in the needles district? Or is it forever to be closed, and off limits to anybody that doesn’t hike 30 miles round trip?

Here's a quote from SUWA's website:

In 2004, the district court in Salt Lake City denied our request to intervene. Later, a three-judge panel of the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned that ruling. Finally, on October 2, 2007, a full complement of the court -- 13 judges came out with a decision vindicating our argument that SUWA does have a sufficient interest to participate in the suit.
There’s a hitch though: the court also thought that the federal government is at present adequately representing our interest so we can’t participate as full parties yet. We are gathering information on this issue for all the similar RS 2477 cases now pending. We’re confident we’ll be able to participate at the first sign the federal government is wavering in its defense of the places under attack from R.S. 2477 claims.

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
If and when the fix the washed out road and open it up, the farthest you could go is to Peekaboo campground. They have had the road beyond that closed for years. But for now the way I would get to the arch is to be dropped off at the top of the canyon on the Beef Basin road and hike down to it and camp on the way. That way you can also go see the All American Man which is a red white and blue pictograph which is supposed to be really cool to see and then hike out the bottom to Peekaboo where you would be picked up. We did this for some friends of ours ( I an not in good enough shape, well actually my shape is more round then I want) and dropped them off and ported their rig to Peekaboo for them. Here is an good site on that hike. http://www.utahtrails.com/SaltCreek.html