Another buggy project

Bart

Thanks all, it was a milestone day for the build for sure. Even though I'm a couple days behind I'm still shooting to make Moab this weekend, but due to weather prolly won't head down until Friday, or whenever the weather clears.

Here's a couple pics of how the console and dash are going to be. Should have those both in tonight, then only 999 other little things to do.

Attachments

• dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 58

Bart

I like that you kept a little curve in there. :D Nice!

Thanks, it was always my intention to keep it as retro as I could. Some people from the auto body class made the dash and it's not even or level making it very hard to mount. I'm happy to have it, but will prolly build another one down the road.

BEAR

Looks good Bart. Its awesome to see every step of it all. Its really coming together great! Hope you get everything done to take her out.

Bart

After taking time off the build for my conference in SC I was behind on my schedule to make to Moab over Thanksgiving. I hit it hard all day last Sunday, then took Tuesday and Wednesday off to hammer on it putting in more than 14 hours each day. I worked on it for a good 9 hours on Thanksgiving day and thought I was close. I was up again Friday morning at 6:30 to try and have it ready by 10:00. Hahaha, not even close. Jared (SIL) came over loaded and packed for Moab and ready to help finish. I was hopeing to finish by 3:00.

When 3:30 rolled around and we were still hopping like a one legged paper hanger, Scott Smith (who was going with us) came over after work and dove in. Luckily for me, Scott is a mechanic and was able to diagnose a charging problem I had and get the front winch working from the remote in cab switch. He was also able to cut and bend the make shift aluminum piece for the drivers side floor. We finally finished and loaded it on the trailer about 9:15 and I was able to go clean up and pack. We were on the road at 10:00 p.m. and pulled into Moab at about 1:00 a.m.

I posted the Moab adventure in the trail report section, so I won't go into that here.

Things to fix. Weld rear truss back to axle, reinforce truss, add axle rear breather, new 1350 u-joint on drive line, new seal and yoke on rear rear axle, new bottom ends to rear Fox air shocks.

Other items of adjustment. New plug wires and harness to pull them off the steering shaft, relocate temp sending unit and fan relay, build real floor and firewall, add shoulder belts, maybe drop seats an inch or two, add tunes, add lights, add skins.........

All in all, I'm very excited about how it handled and performed. It walked the last waterfall on Green Day really well and that was the highlight of my Moab trip. Here are a few pics of the buggy, I'll get more of the tuss tomorrow. You can see it on the side shot.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 116
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 85
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 91
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 70
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 99

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
All I can say is good thing the truss was bolted to the cover. Shouldn't be too bad to fix either

Bart

Pics of the truss. You can see the shock ends on the one pic.

Attachments

• truss1.jpg
    truss1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 83
  • truss2.jpg
    truss2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 95

Bart

Just an update on the buggy and truss. As many of you know Kyle was the fabricator that built my rolling chassis I love his work. He doesn't get on here much but heard about what happened and called me about the truss. He felt terrible about what happened and wanted to fix it so I took it to him and he fixed the truss and added some new support. It looks great. Thanks Kyle.

I have replaced the shock ends, the seals and yoke on the axle, the rear yoke and u-joint on the driveline and things back there are back to new again, except I need to add nitrogen back to the shocks.

I am ready to wheel except the nitrogen and the front diff cover problem I am discussing in the tech forum. I wanted to get out over New Years but may not be able to until I address the front diff.

Future projects I am planning are:
Firewall, floor, sides, full wiring including lights, lowering seats, paint, heater, hooking up gas gauge and speedometer, moving temp sending unit and fan relay, rear winch, cooler hold down, stereo and speakers, aluminum roof, lexan in windshield.... Planning on having this finished by February 21st when I leave for KOH.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Good to hear you got it all back together. Not too bad with the stuff you need to finish

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just an update on the buggy and truss. As many of you know Kyle was the fabricator that built my rolling chassis I love his work. He doesn't get on here much but heard about what happened and called me about the truss. He felt terrible about what happened and wanted to fix it so I took it to him and he fixed the truss and added some new support. It looks great. Thanks Kyle.

I have replaced the shock ends, the seals and yoke on the axle, the rear yoke and u-joint on the driveline and things back there are back to new again, except I need to add nitrogen back to the shocks.

I am ready to wheel except the nitrogen and the front diff cover problem I am discussing in the tech forum. I wanted to get out over New Years but may not be able to until I address the front diff.

Future projects I am planning are:
Firewall, floor, sides, full wiring including lights, lowering seats, paint, heater, hooking up gas gauge and speedometer, moving temp sending unit and fan relay, rear winch, cooler hold down, stereo and speakers, aluminum roof, lexan in windshield.... Planning on having this finished by February 21st when I leave for KOH.

Very cool!!!

Feb 21st, huh... You doing any wheelin' while down there? I will be in Vegas from like 12-17th...... I was just going to come home, but... :D