another snow wheeling trip on saturday the 21st

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
we are going to try to hit willard peak. it is a little easier for those of us farther north. we want to meet at flying J at 9AM on saturday. the flying J is off the 21st street exit in ogden. call me for details 801-791-0377. I will be driving along with XJC and some other locals. lets get this thing rolling.

for those who have not been, it will probably just be deep snow around 1 to 2 feet on the roads that are graded. chains are always a good idea and I will try to have the winch up and running by then!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I only have one seat as I am switching out to new seats....subaru legacy buckets... :) but I want to see some people turn out for this!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'll be in Cache Valley, but I'm not sure I'll have my Jeep (I'll have the wife's ZJ, though....hmmmmmm.....anybody feel like dragging that around..).....I'll see what I can do. You are talking the Flying J in Willard, right? Just before the Port of Entry?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the ZJ will do fine!! bring it. in the summer months I have seen mercedes station wagons crest this road. as far as evanston....that is a long frickin drive!! I would't make that one. I would stick to the uintah trips. this is about another hour past ogden to get to the trail head.

basically what we are looking for on this trail is some reasonably deep snow to give us some good challenges on a road that has proven pretty easy in the past. notice I use the term "ROAD" instead of "TRAIL" because in summer months it is a road. there are some fun detours so come on up.

the FJ I am talking about is at 21st street in ogden. not the one in willard. we will take the freeway so if you wanna meet us somewhere else let me know. maybe vescos parking lot at the corner of 89 and the road that goes up sardine. it is the motorcycle shop right there on the corner. lets spread some more cell phone numbers around so we can all get together.

25 hours and counting......:D

xjc

I give up :(
Sweet, I have other important things that I need to do saturday but I allway have that and I can do it later if I have to. Ill be there with bells,,,, no, I mean chains on:D

Willard peek is a beautifull road and will offer challenges for everyone cuz it goes all the way up to the peak at nearly 10000 ft. I Guarantee youll have a good time (baring the unforseen). Any wheeler will do fine, especially if it has a heater, for your own good. Ground clearance isn't an issue.

Pardon me now, I need to go buy some chains:)

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by xjc
Sweet, I have other important things that I need to do saturday but I allway have that and I can do it later if I have to. Ill be there with bells,,,, no, I mean chains on:D

Willard peek is a beautifull road and will offer challenges for everyone cuz it goes all the way up to the peak at nearly 10000 ft. I Guarantee youll have a good time (baring the unforseen). Any wheeler will do fine, especially if it has a heater, for your own good. Ground clearance isn't an issue.

Pardon me now, I need to go buy some chains:)

OK....I'm taking the XJ to Cache Valley, but I need to find an excuse to go wheeling......Sure, I'll go get some milk.....Be back in 10 hours...:D

MT/R's without chains be OK?

Cell phone is 801-243-2644.......Where is the "Willard Peak" road? Mantua or something?

Last edited:

xjc

I give up :(
you'll be fine, better than me with chains probably. I've got to run my 235's cus I don't have clearance for chains with 31's.

That GRRRRRRRRRR or chains wizing againt the sheet metal is anoying. :(

By the way, Powder Mountain has 27 inches of base right now. Willard peek is substantialy higher than powder:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by mbryson

OK....I'm taking the XJ to Cache Valley, but I need to find an excuse to go wheeling......Sure, I'll go get some milk.....Be back in 10 hours...:D

MT/R's without chains be OK?

Cell phone is 801-243-2644.......Where is the "Willard Peak" road? Mantua or something?

yes, the road up there starts in mantua in the north end of the valley. what time are you planning on leaving to the fam in cache valley?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai

yes, the road up there starts in mantua in the north end of the valley. what time are you planning on leaving to the fam in cache valley?

I kind of got the initial Kabosh from the spouse. I'll keep working on her (not in that way....just to pursuade her to let me and my kids take a nice drive) and see what comes out. I'll try and meet you at Vesco's at 9:30-9:45 if I can go. I'm sure I'll see the Zuk and I'll just fall in behind. (don't let the 'Zuk slow down going up that first little grade out of Brigham :D )

Don't wait for me though, because I think I've got maybe a 35% chance of going. You can give me a call in the morning if you'd like though.....I'm kind of aching to go, but I think she'll win as we aren't able to get together a lot as a family....now if I mention this to one of the brother-in-laws, and he happens to come along, I'd say that there's a 90% chance I'll be there......

Hopefully see you passing me at Vesco's tomorrow!!! If I don't see you, be safe, and HAVE A GREAT TIME!

itbejared

Yup, Its a 'Sploder!
Ohhh.... I am in. If we are leaving early i'll be fine, but the bad news is I have to be at work at 3:30 :( So I can play for a little while at least.

I've already played a bit at hardware ranch a couple of days ago, the BFG's I have give some dang good traction in a couple feet of snow.. Now we'll just have to see about going uphill. LOL

my cell is 801.920.1814

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'm still Kaboshed.....if you're reading this before you go, HAVE A GREAT TIME.....If you're reading this after you get back, I hope nobody broke or got hurt!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by itbejared
Ohhh.... I am in. If we are leaving early i'll be fine, but the bad news is I have to be at work at 3:30 :( So I can play for a little while at least.

I've already played a bit at hardware ranch a couple of days ago, the BFG's I have give some dang good traction in a couple feet of snow.. Now we'll just have to see about going uphill. LOL

my cell is 801.920.1814

we should be back way before that, my wife has to be to work at 3 so that is not a problemo.