Another state inspection question..

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
I have a 85 mini truck currently. It's on 35's and it's about 1" below the legal height limit. I dont get hassled by cops as it sits.

I want to swap full width dana 60 and 14 bolt under it. This will make my tires stick out a ton, probably about 6" per side.

If i make some tube/steel fender flares for it that are removable will the inspectors take me serious or will the swap basically make this thing a trailer queen??

Also, my inspection is due in May, can i go to the DMV and ask to cut my current registration short and renew now?? i would have it inspected on the toy axles/35's and that would give me a year before i had to really worry about it, mean while i would have the tube flares on the truck.. So really i wouldn't be driving around an illegal truck, more of a grey area.

I didnt know if the inspectors would notice that the flares could be removed fairly easily and not even look at my truck becuase of it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think as long as the flares aren't going to fall off, they won't say anything about them being removable. Now, if you're pulled over without them that's another thing altogether, but you already know that. ;)

I have no idea if you can get re-registered a few months early. A quick call to the DMV ought to shed some light.....

Chevycrew

My toyota is running full width 44 and 9", keep in mind the 60 is about 3" wider.

I have 14.5 wide tires on 10 wide wheels with 3 1/2 backspace.

9" outside the fender.

85" overall width.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
My toyota is running full width 44 and 9", keep in mind the 60 is about 3" wider.

9" outside the fender.

85" overall width.

And it got impounded right;)

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
I think as long as the flares aren't going to fall off, they won't say anything about them being removable. Now, if you're pulled over without them that's another thing altogether, but you already know that. ;)

I have no idea if you can get re-registered a few months early. A quick call to the DMV ought to shed some light.....

I figured i would call but i'm impatient and was hoping someone would know for sure. I guess i'll just have to wait till the morning:rofl:

9" outside the fender.

85" overall width.

Ya thats a wide sucker, i had a fj40 on fullsize axles but i dont remember them sticking out that much... seems like the FJ bodies are a little wider than mini's.. I'll do some more investigating

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Inspection and emissions are good for two months. Take it for safety and emissions the day before you start taking it apart, and when your registration comes in the mail, got take all your paperwork down and register it, whatever condition it's in at that point will not matter.

Chevycrew

Does anyone have a link to all the vehicle requirements and codes in Utah?

I have one for Idaho but have not seen one for Utah yet, only bits and pieces.

I would like to compare, I know in idaho, bumper must extend the full original track width...

Ill post Idaho's link when I get home today.

Chevycrew

Utah inspection for bumpers.

B. BUMPERS

1a.
REJECT when:

2) Bumpers do not extend to the entire width of original body
wheel track.

RockChucker

well then i don't know how on earth my jeep passed inspection b/c my bumper at the time was only like 42 inches wide, basically 2 inches past the frame on either side...

Corban_White

Depending on where you go to get inspected they are more lenient (sp) on some things. I have had very good luck at jiffy lube. as long as everything looks pretty good (I know what they check every time) they don't bother me about the small stuff.