another suwa member

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Maybe it's just me but I can't believe they don't have a deposit to get a bid number. A simple $10k would take care of these tree huggers crashing the party and if they don't pay up you get $10k.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Freedom of Speech.

I don't necessarily agree with his beliefs, but it's always good to see that the "little guy" shake things up every now and then.

I mean, one person making such a big to-do . . . you've got to give him props.

And for a hypocrisy check:
If this guy used the same method to sabotage an effort to restrict land access, would you be cheering or jeering?

Bart

Personally, I think they should garnish his wages for the rest of his life, until the leases are paid for.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Freedom of Speech.

I don't necessarily agree with his beliefs, but it's always good to see that the "little guy" shake things up every now and then.

I mean, one person making such a big to-do . . . you've got to give him props.

And for a hypocrisy check:
If this guy used the same method to sabotage an effort to restrict land access, would you be cheering or jeering?

I would still be wondering why they don't have a deposit to bid. If there was a sum of money lost by the guy exercising his "rights" expenses would be covered. I'm sure the government would have issues if I decided not to pay my taxes and declared it "freedom of speach". People may have issues if you went out and made an offer on every property for sale and then said "just kidding I'm exercising my rights" (this may be the reason behind the earnest money).
This ordeal is a business deal and the seller happens to be the government. Auctioneers need paid, surveyors need paid, other potential bidders have invested time and money to be there. Just because someone disagrees with what is being sold doesn't mean they should get a free ride.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Freedom of Speech...

Is defaulting on an oral agreement a "Freedom of Speech"? He agreed to purchase something at a price he offered and has/had no intentions of paying for it, its fraud. If your willing to defend his actions, would you defend mine when I make an oral agreement with the sole intention of defaulting on said agreement, premeditated fraud? Under oath in court, agreeing to return a test-drive car, making a false statement to a LEO. Has "Freedom of Speech" become such a stronghold that we let it over rule fundamental honesty?

Make no mistake I don't doubt for a minute that there is a legal standard for fighting such agreements, then again make no mistake there is a reason some in the legal community give the others a bad rap ;)

I think he should be on the hook for the millions of dollars he defrauded from TAXPAYERS!!! The BLM already dropped 2/3's of the leases in that area, as always a compromise is never enough and the found a less ethical way to resolve the issue.

Forget a deposit, what about even a simple background check or requiring a business card? It's the BLM's own fault for not vetting bidders. If he signed an agreement to pay, then they should pursue him to recoup costs associated with organizing a new auction.