ANOTHER VOLVO.......yes.....another ugly semi truck crawler hauler thread

I drove a day cab pete with a s60 detroit and 7" straight stacks and it only took about 15 min with the Jakes on to give you a headache from hell but that truck did just fine at 105,000 lbs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Removed some more parts today in prep for the flat bed build. Started by carefully removing the stacks. I was thinking i could possibly reuse the mufflers if I run the exhaust under the frame. Well....surprise surprise

This is the bracket that held the stack mounts in place. It will get utilized with the bed

Im still undecided on the rear fairings. But for now i just removed them to get them out of the way

Pretty much ready to get started on the bed now. I'll get some material ordered Monday

ChestonScout

I had to fire it up with the stacks removed of course. It was a little louder but not as bad as i expected being straight piped. It also could have been worse because now the pipes are ear level instead of 11' off the ground.

So long story short is i dont think the blown out mufflers were doing much.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Your old ride was a 2 stroke right? your new ride is probably more quiet straight piped than that was with mufflers

ChestonScout

Metal was delivered today. There are times where I am super thankful that I have a forklift sitting here. 24' sticks of rectangle aren't light

Unfortunately not long after the Metal Mart semi left, the rain came. It quickly turned to snow. Ive been known to not let a little snow slow me down in the driveway but it got to me quick today. So I didn't get very far on the bed

BUT....at least I got a start

ChestonScout

Your old ride was a 2 stroke right? your new ride is probably more quiet straight piped than that was with mufflers

It was. This truck has a much deeper tone though, especially at idle. I'm not sure if it is quieter or not. I do want to try to get a muffler or 2 back on it

Why do you start big projects when the temperature starts to drop? :)

I was asking myself this exact question today as it was snowing on me. Why does a guy with no shop strictly only build things in the winter? Got me..

ChestonScout

Got a real start today.

The truck had several of these aluminum steps on it. Im thinking i will put a couple of them over the rear axle. That way i will have easy access to all the air lines and such underneath

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

ChestonScout

Because everyone loves weld pics

I found this blade at lowes for a skill saw. Decided to give it a try for ripping down the 1/8" tread plate

Not super impressed. It did rip the sheet into 24" strips for me but it was a fight

More progress