anti-lock brakes, what to do?

xjc

I give up :(
This is a question I have had for a long time. What does everyone do with antilock brakes when it comes time for brake line extensions?

My xj has anti lock brakes and the associated hoses to the rear wheels. I am hesitant to simply plug up all the holes and be done with it. I know that's what spencurai did with is explorer. Is there another option?

The only thing I can think of is cutting the bracket that holds the brakelines right before they go down to the axle and re-attaching it a couple inches lower. Is there anything else that can be done?

Also, Being an engineer I suspect that the abs is setup for the original tire size. As I go to 31's from the 27's that come stock, the antilock is probably more dangerous than it originally was.

comments appreciated:)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
umm you need to explain it a little more.....so you just have hydraulic lines right?

just get longer ones. problem solved.

IMHO:
rear ABS is a sales gimmick. it is there to give the salesman at the dealer something to talk about little more. your front brakes do most of the work so front ABS can be useful in cars. I can do without any of it personally...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just put new brakelines on and moved my front ones brackets down............no rocket science there. I'm sure mine's working in 'bypass' mode (as close to it can for 'normal' operation) with my 35"

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Originally posted by mbryson
I just put new brakelines on and moved my front ones brackets down............no rocket science there. I'm sure mine's working in 'bypass' mode (as close to it can for 'normal' operation) with my 35"

When MarcB helped me swap my rear axle we just took out all the abs wiring.