antifreeze - what are you good to?

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Well, It's that time again ... If you are like me and have been topping off with water.

I bought a cheap tester which shows me good to -18.

1. Anyone know what half-n-half is good to?
2. is -18 enough?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
If you are like me and have been topping off with water.
Well I guess I'm not like you, I would never just top it off with water unless I had to, to get me off the trail. 50/50 always, it not only keeps it from freezing but it also coats the inside on the motor to keep it from rusting.

Meat_

Banned
What am I good to? At least however cold it got last year.

I never put water in my junk either, for me it's 50/50 min

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
"A mix of 40% antifreeze and 60% water provides freeze-up protection down to -10°F and boil over protection up to 259°F. In comparison, a mix of 70% antifreeze and 30% water provides freeze-up protection down to -62°F and boil over protection up to 270°F. However, we do not recommend adding more than 70% antifreeze. This would limit the corrosion and freeze up protection and heat transfer capabilities of the antifreeze."

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Well I guess I'm not like you, I would never just top it off with water unless I had to, to get me off the trail. 50/50 always, it not only keeps it from freezing but it also coats the inside on the motor to keep it from rusting.

I had an interesting year, as far as coolant goes. First radiator would not cool ... I even tried water wetter with 100% water (best possible cooling) and it still over heated. After several field emegency fills and a radiator swap ... I was left with ... who knows what.

Sounds like I'll drain the whole thing and go 50/50 ... hopefully I will not have refilling requirements in the future!

Bart

Good choice. I don't think -18 will cut it. You have to remember wind chill and with the radiator front and center, it's exposed.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Good choice. I don't think -18 will cut it. You have to remember wind chill and with the radiator front and center, it's exposed.

Wind chill only counts on your skin, the radiator won't feel it. ;) I'd still drain and refill with 50/50, it's cheap insurance.

Bart

Wind chill only counts on your skin, the radiator won't feel it. ;) I'd still drain and refill with 50/50, it's cheap insurance.

Hmmm, I've known guys (yes, more than one) that had their boat motors freeze while they were pulling them. Ambient temp was mid to high 30s, manifolds and blocks froze and broke. They clamied wind chill, but who knows. I always drain my manifolds when I pull mine if it's around 40*f or below.

erocrocks

look on the bottle chad, they say what the mixutre is good for

chad if you keep over heating is there a possible other reason for excessive heat build up,

50 50 is always good,

and to say for the fiftyith time, its a cheap fix, just drain and refill with your mixture

have fun with it