Any airsoft players here?

skeptic

Call this part 2 of my airsoft threads.

First, let me point out that I do not, nor have I ever, played airsoft. However, now that I'm looking for better options for my kids to play I have started trying to check into the airsoft scene around here. Much to my surprise, there actually IS an airsoft scene, but I know essentially nothing about it. Getting my 14 year old into games seems pretty easy, as long as I go with him, both of us get fully kitted up (strict dress codes for teams including full camo???). Unfortunately there is really nothing "official" for the 10 year old - he's just too young for the adult games. However, nothing wrong with getting an informal group together for some weekend fun..... Other than the fact I don't really know of any appropriate areas.

Coco

I used to play with B.O.E (Black Ops Elite here in Utah) RAD the captain for BOE owns the Tactical Airsoft Supply stores in SLC, and now Hill AFB. They are a great bunch of guys but they are VERY STRICT with the way they run things, and can come off as @ssholes. The biggest reason I played with them is for the night ops. The FUNNEST thing I have ever done between airsoft and paintball. They focus on MIL-SIM (Military Simulation) type ops that is a lot of fun. They use camo to separate from civilians that might be in the area, and certain teams have certain camo options. Back when I played my loadout was full camo, vest, AEG, sidearm, tons of mid cap mags, etc.

You may want to try these sites:
www.utahairsoft.com
www.blackopselite.com
www.utahcountyairsoft.net/main/

I honestly really want to go play again, I havent been out since I sold everything when my buddy hurt his back. About 2-3 years.

This video is what got my hooked and wanted to not only play airsoft, but play with BOE and do the night ops.

[video=youtube;jbJIRgpVExI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJIRgpVExI[/video]

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I used to play a fair amount of paintball. I'd be down for some casual airsoft, but as awesome as that BOE stuff sounds, that's probably more time and money than I'd want to invest.

sixstringsteve

my 16 y/o brother has a club he plays with every weekend. He's pretty into it. He just got back from a 3-day outing that was pure airsoft. He's in Highland. Where do you live Skeptic?

skeptic

Going Up! - Yup, that's the guy I spoke to in his new store on Hill. Definitely Mil-Sim guys, strict rules - not only is camo required but specific patterns. My kid is really excited about being able to run with these guys, and while it sounds like it might be fun I think I'd prefer a more casual group. I'll check those links, thanks!

Kevin B. - If I manage to find a more casual group I'll be sure to update this thread and let you know. Or, if you plan something and are open to having a couple younger casual players join let me know.

six - I'm waaaay up in Clearfield. To get my boy in with a group of similar aged kids I'd drive to Highland (and maybe turn it into an AF camping trip), or meet somewhere in between. Not every weekend, but occasionally.

My biggest issue is I don't know of a good, out of the way, area to take the kids. I'm thinking something like a wheeling, camping, airsoft weekend would be great fun for all. Scenic drive or wheeling to get somewhere away from others, setup camp, let whoever play airsoft that wants to, etc.

Coco

Going Up! - Yup, that's the guy I spoke to in his new store on Hill. Definitely Mil-Sim guys, strict rules - not only is camo required but specific patterns. My kid is really excited about being able to run with these guys, and while it sounds like it might be fun I think I'd prefer a more casual group. I'll check those links, thanks!

Kevin B. - If I manage to find a more casual group I'll be sure to update this thread and let you know. Or, if you plan something and are open to having a couple younger casual players join let me know.

six - I'm waaaay up in Clearfield. To get my boy in with a group of similar aged kids I'd drive to Highland (and maybe turn it into an AF camping trip), or meet somewhere in between. Not every weekend, but occasionally.

My biggest issue is I don't know of a good, out of the way, area to take the kids. I'm thinking something like a wheeling, camping, airsoft weekend would be great fun for all. Scenic drive or wheeling to get somewhere away from others, setup camp, let whoever play airsoft that wants to, etc.

B.O.E has played up Provo Canyon in Squaw Peak many times. Those are two of my favorite places I have played. Its cooler, and there is lot of area to play. Best part, is there is camping spots all along that road. They are very good with seizing fire when civvies come upon a game, whether that be on the roads, hiking, etc.

Caleb

My older brother is way in to it. He plays in tournaments all over the west (recently got back from a tournament in California) they play atleast monthly, if not multiple times a month. They probably play with or against the guy that owns those stores. I know they have very strict rules, not only around dress code, but also around the weapons and ammo they use, the velocity they shoot at, the capacity of their mags, etc. Everything is regulated. They also, quite often, go down to some haunted house in Provo and play during the off-season for the haunted house. They play a lot in the west desert (Soldiers Pass area) and up around Squaw Peak area. Their games, if only going for a single night, will often go all through the night and they'll get done around 6:00am or so.

It would be fun once or twice, but I'm not willing to make the kind of money or time investment that's needed to be competitive and I can't stand to not be competitive. :) I don't know what their age rules are, but I think it's probably older than your boys. My brother has a son that's in to the airsoft stuff as well and he's 12ish and he doesn't go with him, so I'd guess it's probably around 14-16.