Any Amsoil dealers nearby?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Does anybody on RME deal Amsoil? Or can you recommend a local dealer? I need to change the oil on the Dodge & want to go with something that will treat the truck a little better.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I am a beleiver in synthetic but there are some reasons I would not run it in that Deisel.Just make sure you buy a quality 15W40 CH-4 rated oil. The Valvoline Premium Blue recomended by Cummins changed at more frequent intervals will be treating it just fine.

Greg

Admin
I want an oil that's better than standard Rotella, since the truck just rolled over 200k. I've heard alot of people talk good about Amsoil, but I've never used it. Why would you not run it in a deisel?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
In a deisel and especialy in one that has that many miles on it I would be more concerned about how clean the oil is and would want more frequent oil changes. The cost of syn changed more often will be prohibitive. If Amsoil has 15W40 that meets the CH standard(very important because of the low sulfer fuel today) then run it, but it will cost plenty. Large fleets of heavy duty Diesels do not run syn it is just not cost effective and oil related problems are rare if proper change intervals are maintained. You should also expect to see leaks appear on a 200000 engine that has been running dino when switching to syn.

Greg

Admin
bobdog said:
In a deisel and especialy in one that has that many miles on it I would be more concerned about how clean the oil is and would want more frequent oil changes. The cost of syn changed more often will be prohibitive. If Amsoil has 15W40 that meets the CH standard(very important because of the low sulfer fuel today) then run it, but it will cost plenty. Large fleets of heavy duty Diesels do not run syn it is just not cost effective and oil related problems are rare if proper change intervals are maintained. You should also expect to see leaks appear on a 200000 engine that has been running dino when switching to syn.

OK, on the cleanliness thing.... if I were to run Synthetic I'd probably run it for quite awhile between oil changes, but change the oil filter (High quality filter, of course) every 3k miles or so. If I'm running the Syn. 2 or 3 times as long as Rotella, then the price diffrence should be less significant and still end up with clean oil.

Wetmuskrat... I'll PM you for some prices & availibility on 15w40.

Greg

Admin
From the Amsoil site, concerning Cummins engines-

Specifically for the Cummins Turbo Diesel AMSOIL engineers and manufactures a 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil that when used in conjunction with the AMSOIL Super Duty SDF-80 engine oil filter will allow you to travel 7,500-10,000 miles between filter changes and 20,000 miles minimum between oil changes. This was established by oil analysis testing. If you use oil analysis you can usually go longer than 20,000 miles. Other AMSOIL benefits include reduced sludge and deposit.

:eek:

Caleb

Greg said:
From the Amsoil site, concerning Cummins engines-

Specifically for the Cummins Turbo Diesel AMSOIL engineers and manufactures a 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil that when used in conjunction with the AMSOIL Super Duty SDF-80 engine oil filter will allow you to travel 7,500-10,000 miles between filter changes and 20,000 miles minimum between oil changes. This was established by oil analysis testing. If you use oil analysis you can usually go longer than 20,000 miles. Other AMSOIL benefits include reduced sludge and deposit.

:eek:

yeah, the stuff I am using (Schaeffers, its a blend) will do the oil analysis for you, you just send them a sample in their test kit you can get...if they tell you that you can go 15,000 miles between changes and you have oil related problems because you went too long (less than what they say you can go though) they will pay for a new engine, basically the garantee your engine (even with 200K+ miles) I had 256K on mine when I spoke with the rep and he said they would even garantee my engine as long as I have my oil analyzed...I now have just about 7500 miles (pretty standard oil change interval for diesels) on their stuff and so I am sending them a sample on monday to have tested...the rep said in his burb he was told he can go 12000 miles between changes (which I think is way long in a gas engine)

Greg

Admin
I was reading on DTR and a few guys running Amsoil went by miles. 7,500 between filters & 15,000 between oil changes. Sounds pretty realistic to me. I wouldn't be too sure about running 25k on the same oil! :sick:

4thefamily

supergper said:
yeah, the stuff I am using (Schaeffers, its a blend) will do the oil analysis for you, you just send them a sample in their test kit you can get...if they tell you that you can go 15,000 miles between changes and you have oil related problems because you went too long (less than what they say you can go though) they will pay for a new engine, basically the garantee your engine (even with 200K+ miles) I had 256K on mine when I spoke with the rep and he said they would even garantee my engine as long as I have my oil analyzed...I now have just about 7500 miles (pretty standard oil change interval for diesels) on their stuff and so I am sending them a sample on monday to have tested...the rep said in his burb he was told he can go 12000 miles between changes (which I think is way long in a gas engine)

What is the price of the oil and filters? Do you get the filters from the dealer, could you Pm me the dealers name and contact. I have a p-stroke with 320000 on it that I need to take care of.

Caleb

4thefamily said:
What is the price of the oil and filters? Do you get the filters from the dealer, could you Pm me the dealers name and contact. I have a p-stroke with 320000 on it that I need to take care of.

with the schaeffers I just use a quality filter like a Mobil 1...you can buy the oil form Mepco or directly through the sales rep, the oil form the sales rep runs about $2.00 a quart...its a little more through mepco I believe...I will get the Sales reps number for you tomorrow his name is Dee Winders...

4thefamily

supergper said:
with the schaeffers I just use a quality filter like a Mobil 1...you can buy the oil form Mepco or directly through the sales rep, the oil form the sales rep runs about $2.00 a quart...its a little more through mepco I believe...I will get the Sales reps number for you tomorrow his name is Dee Winders...

So how long can you go with Rotella between oil changes? I change mine every 4-5k miles, is that too often? I figure it doesn't cost much and it is cheaper than a new engine.

Greg

Admin
4thefamily said:
So how long can you go with Rotella between oil changes? I change mine every 4-5k miles, is that too often? I figure it doesn't cost much and it is cheaper than a new engine.

I don't know about a PSD, but with a CTD there's 2 recommended oil change schedules, depending on the use.

1- Lots of Towing, lots of stop & go driving or dusty conditions- Change every 3,500 miles.

2- Minimal towing, more freeway miles- Change every 7,000 miles.

I do lot's of everything & with 200k miles, I'm going to play it safe & run Amsoil with 7,500 between filters & 15,000 between oil changes, depending on oil tests.

4thefamily

Greg said:
I don't know about a PSD, but with a CTD there's 2 recommended oil change schedules, depending on the use.

1- Lots of Towing, lots of stop & go driving or dusty conditions- Change every 3,500 miles.

2- Minimal towing, more freeway miles- Change every 7,000 miles.

I do lot's of everything & with 200k miles, I'm going to play it safe & run Amsoil with 7,500 between filters & 15,000 between oil changes, depending on oil tests.

That sounds like a good Idea, I am going to look into this, thanks for the info. Oh btw this site is awesome,so helpful as long as shawn :ugh: isn't in the thread. Thanks for all you hard work Greg.. congrats on the new job too.

53 willys

Bad speller
If you base your oil changes on oil analysis you can go unlimited mileage on the oil. The analysis will tell you the exact condition of the oil. Amsoil is formulated specifically for long drain intervals. They have offered 25,000 mile intervals since 1972 and this stuff works. I had a 93 CTD with 200,000 when I switched to Amsoil 5w-30 heavy duty diesel oil and dual by-pass filters and had no problems. sold it and bought 2001 CTD the first thing I did was put a dual by-pass on it and and filled everything with Amsoil. I noticed a full 1.0 mpg increase
thats about 30 extra miles per tank. If you want some oil let me know I am a dealer and I also live in Lehi. If you want to come see my dual by-pass set up let me know, its a good idea to run Amsoil filters if you plan on running long intervals they are made specifically for the long intervals.

Pm me if you want some oil or info hope this helps Mark.

53 willys

Bad speller
asau said:
any dealers somewhat close to ogden? i need 6 quarts of 10w40 and a filter for a 87 suzuki samurai.

check with "lube dude" on this forum he lives in Ogden and can hook you up for sure :cool:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
53 willys said:
check with "lube dude" on this forum he lives in Ogden and can hook you up for sure :cool:
Really? Is he an Amsoil dealer?
Huh, you'd think he would have mentioned it. :confused:

:rofl: