Any auto trans experts?

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
So I have had this issue since the jeep has been in my possession. 94 YJ, drives and have done most trails in sand hollow, but theres been a shift issue that hasn't caused problems but just annoys the crap out of me, and I know its not normal. So looking to see if theres something easy before I take it to a trans shop. 1-2 shift acts like it should whether cruising or on the gas. 2-3 shift acts like it goes to neutral and revs to the moon only going into 3rd once I let off the gas, then drive fine down shifts when needed, but that 2-3 does that every time. So driving to the trail I just know to just keep the throttle down hard to get the speed to about 40 then let off so it can shift to 3rd and then cruise the rest of the way. It only is a problem when in the dunes as I cant get my momentum up as I have to let the throttle up.

So the cable that attaches to the throttle linkage is adjusted as it should, and the front band adjustment is done to guidelines (haven't done the rear as the adjuster is in the pan and I have been to lazy lol). Any ideas what it could be? Again not super worried (so don't really want to dump $$$ in it) as I drive it 90% crawling and never make it out of 2nd gear, but when I do it is just annoying and I know something isn't right.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'd probably drain and check the trans fluid. May take a few times to get fresh fluid in the converter. You can learn a lot about the trans condition by the fluid.
Also try unplugging the battery and resetting the computer. It'll re-learn your driving style and adjust shift points.
I always try whatever's cheaper first when diagnosing stuff.

crapmanche4l

Thanks! Fluid color and level has looked good since I got it, but know that's not always the whole story, again just been too lazy to drop the pan and busy having fun with it. Is the TF904 computer controlled? I'll look into resetting and am doubtful, but will try to see if that betters the situation!

Last edited:

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Your going to need to rebuild it.
Miss shifts are due to too much clearance in the clutches.
I'm no expect but, I've been where you are.
Rebuilt it myself. Worked perfect.
Super easy to do FYI.

crapmanche4l

Good to know. I have read people having a similar situation as mine, and there is some spring internally that they remove and has solved the issue, but who knows. If it does need a rebuild to solve it, I'll leave that to someone else lol. For what I mostly use it for it is never an issue. If it lasts until the 2.5 dies that will be a bonus. as soon as either dies, its getting a drivetrain swap. Thanks for your input.