Any Direct TV sales or installers here?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I would like a Direct TV installer to come out to my place and check to see if I could have your service where I live and most importantly have a great uninterrupted HD feed. I live in a private townhouse community (I rent) and they do not allow dishes on roofs, or connected to the house at all. It would have to sit on a tripod on my back porch, or mounted to the railling. I am seriously interested in getting Direct TV mainly for HD channels, but I am afraid of how my place faces, and where the back porch is, it might interfere with the signal to the dish.

Any help or advise is welcome. I really hate Comcast and want to get rid of them.

Caleb

I've got Dish on a tripod......40+ channels of HD :) I recommend them.......
Dish HD < Direct TV HD ;)

Right now, no ones HD compares with Direct TV. (Not to mention Dish is a joke to deal with, I'd compare them to Comcast) :p

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
That is where I am concerned. My front porch faces the eastern point of the mountain, and my back porch is West. You ever see those parajumpers or gliders jumping off of the cliffs at the point of the mountain? That is where I live, so I am concerned that the back wall of my house, and the mountain side or a combo of both may be an issue. I might be splitting hairs, but I know they can come to a residence and do a drop test to see what my connection would be like. It would be a waste of both of our times if I signed up and it didnt work.

Oh and yeah, I want Direct TV, NOT Dish. I dont like Charlie either.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Dish HD < Direct TV HD ;)

Right now, no ones HD compares with Direct TV. (Not to mention Dish is a joke to deal with, I'd compare them to Comcast) :p

Eh, I'm fine with it. I did a HD only package, 30 bucks a month. Called them and 1.5 hours later the guy was at my door, ready to install. I'd call that pretty good service.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've sold a few thousand Direct TV systems, and when I got my TV I purchased Dish network. It's 6's really, but they had better HD programming packages at the time and I like the guide on Dish a lot better than the guide on Direct TV.

You would need a south facing view for the dish as far as I know.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I've sold a few thousand Direct TV systems, and when I got my TV I purchased Dish network. It's 6's really, but they had better HD programming packages at the time and I like the guide on Dish a lot better than the guide on Direct TV.

You would need a south facing view for the dish as far as I know.

This may be a dated question, but do you still work at Circuit City? Man I love that place. I just spent about $7000.00 on my last upgrade and I forgot to even eask about you:sick:

Caleb

Eh, I'm fine with it. I did a HD only package, 30 bucks a month. Called them and 1.5 hours later the guy was at my door, ready to install. I'd call that pretty good service.
Yeah, they get it in the door quick...but trying to get rid of it was ridiculous. I usually over pay a bit on all my bills, when I canceled with Dish I had a $200 credit...they were refusing to pay it to me. First they were saying I didn't fulfill my contract (I had the Dish for a couple years and there was no contract to begin with, I still had all original paperwork). When I proved them wrong on that they said I never returned their receivers, again I had all the tracking info showing it was delivered and signed for. When I was able to prove them wrong on that (granted it's now been ~3 months since I had cancelled service with them and moved) they said I hadn't paid my last couple bills, :rofl: by this time it was nothing more than a joke...why the hell would I still have a $200 credit then? My bills are all autopay. I went and got the last 6 months of payments from my CU. Finally after all their BS they agreed to pay...that only took another 3 months to get a check from them. Like I said, good luck :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This may be a dated question, but do you still work at Circuit City? Man I love that place. I just spent about $7000.00 on my last upgrade and I forgot to even eask about you:sick:

Negative. but I can point you in the direction of good people if you need stuff.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
If you are looking to get Direct you need a clear line of sight to the south~south east.For Dish you need a clear line south~south west.Being up against the hill could present an issue depending on certain things.When I work up there I try to mount to the highest point of the home to be sure.This doesn't mean that you will not be able to get a signal from ground level.

What most people don't understand is that the signal is coming in from above the dish then being reflected .If you were to look at the arm and the reflector and make a 90* angle out of them the signal is coming in from about a 30~40* angle from above the dish.

You don't have to mount in on a tripod the other option is on a post(metal fence post) concreted in the ground.You can place these in a flower bed or along the side of the house.

Now if I have an idea were you live they are really strict about were they want the dish placed.From what I remember it can not be placed anywhere on the property other then inside the balcony .

Is this the development ?.On the western facing side in those rented out townhomes.

Last edited:

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Yes, very close. Liberty Hill Townhouses exactly. My actual unit is in the center of the three on our building so placing the dish on a side wall isnt an option either. If you are familiar with the area then you may know my predicament. If my dish needs to face S.E. then it is going to aim directly at the wall on the back of my unit.

I was afraid of this. Do you have any recommendations, or is it still feasible to have someone like yourself come out and check just to be sure?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Most places will not come out to test the area.The only thing you can do is make the appointment and when the guy comes out ask him what he thinks.If he thinks it will work then go for it and see what happens.If after telling the person what restrictions you have in the community and seeing what conditions exist he decides it can't be done just cancel the job.

I could come up there and look it over and tell you what I think could be done .I do not do work for Direct but I can still tell just by looking whether it can work or not.