Any duracoaters on here?

jentzschman

I have wanted to try my hand at this. I have an AR that I have wanted to coat a few parts but have always been reluctant as I do not want to screw things up. I do not have many spare parts so I have simply put the thought out of mind. This would be a good thread to inspire me to give it a try.

redrussell

I have the air dry kit in two colors but haven't found the spare time to fully strip down my 870 and use it as a test subject yet.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I do my own guns but not really hip on playing with other peoples stuff. I would however help you do yours if you want to come over and bring your own paint. I just buy the Duracoat Shake and Spray, one can will do a few guns. I built a oven that will cook a Barreled Action with no problem.
IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1552.jpg
IMG_2766.jpgIMG_2767.jpg
IMG_2768.jpgIMG_2769.jpg

Last edited:

redrussell

I would like some help and tips if you wouldn't mind. I want to do my 870 and then my savage 30.06 in a bi or tri color pattern like that. Eventually I would like to do my ar I just finished like that too.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Best advice is make sure it is clean, guns have grease and oils... I always clean mine with brake cleaner and then bake it for 5 or 6 min at 300 or so degrees.that will pull any oils out of places they hide and i then clean it again. after i clean it the second time i paint it while the metal is still warm and I do a light coat and let it sit in the warm oven (my oven cools really quick) usually about 100-125 degrees for 15 min and then I cook at 350 for 15 min.. I kill the heat and leave in the oven with the fan blowing in it until i can touch the action. I only duracoat the actions, everything else I Krylon so i can change and touch up as needed. Multi color duracoat like my brush camo action are tricky, I do the base color and cook for 5 min and then pull and spray, over and over again, only cooking for a couple min between coats.