Any electricians here?

Pike2350

So I recently purchased a house in Millcreek built in 1925. I'm looking to add some outlets from an interior wall to exterior walls. The exterior walls are double brick layers with plaster. There are no outlets on the exterior walls. I want to change this and have a plan to do so, but am unsure of the code on it...and my search, seems to tell me it's ok...but there isn't a lot to of information on it.

My thought is to run the wire from the interior wall behind the baseboard. I plan on running metal raceway attached to the plaster with construction adhesive and nails. I will run the wire in this raceway and route out a groove behind the existing baseboard. I'm even tempted to put metal strapping in the routered notch just to ensure no chance of a nail going through it. Then I will place outlet boxes in the baseboard themselves...but only on exterior walls.

Being a craftsman style house, I don't want to use exposed conduit, or even have the raceways visible. I found a reference in the NEC 300.4 that references metal 1/16" thick...and I'm not sure the metal raceways are thick enough. I am hoping this will be strong enough .

Thoughts on this?

4x4_Welder

Do you have any access from below? I'd be more inclined to make new circuits and runs of modern cable, to reduce the risk of overloading the old wires. If that is original wiring, it's beyond being on borrowed time as it is, and if you start messing with it the finance company for a potential buy may demand rewiring the whole thing.

Pike2350

The plug I'm tapping off of is actually a new circuit. There are some old ones but replacing them will have to wait.

There is no access from below...it's finished space.

shortstraw8

1925 is old, I assume the wiring has been updated at some point. If for some reason it is still knob&tube I would agree with the above statement and rewire. As for having outlets in baseboards I know there are exceptions to the rule but I believe minimum height off finished floor is 1'. I believe nailplates are an 1/8" thick to give proper depth from edge of stud (for code), but really if you can't shoot a nail through it and it can't be screwed through, it should be well protected.