Any interest in a Bookcliffs/Nine Mile Canyon weekend?

Chevycrew

My schedule is unknown, and among other things (want to buy a house, and entered for ultimate adventure)

So Ill keep an ear out for this trip as things get closer and I know whats going on.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, you guys are blowing me away with all the interest! We might have to bump up the number of vehicles a little. I just don't want a huge group.

I really think this area is a neat, lesser known place with much to offer and see. I don't know the area as well as I'd like to, but I think I know it well enough to find my way around.

Steve is right, I have plans for Memorial Day weekend... as should most of you. :p

There will be no real 'rockcrawling', unless the roads are really washed out and bad, but I'm not anticipating that. :D I do think that 4WD and low range will be needed, but a mildly built 4x4 should do the job. I don't think lockers will be needed, but a capable vehicle and ready and willing drivers will be needed.

I would expect to cover a good deal of ground, there will be a decent amount of driving over the few days, but most of it will be driving in 2WD at speed.

As far as a date..., with the OSRC and the RME Memorial Day BBQ, the only weekends that are open in May are either the weekends of May 4th, 5th & 6th or May 17th, 18th & 19th. Either one is fine by me, but the later weekend (18-20th) may be better, letting any potential snow drifts melt off...?

Hope that helps!

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Ive driven all over those areas for work.... and thats in a loaded down F350(~12k lbs road ready). Many of the roads are fairly well maintained due to oil field traffic these days. If you are out there I would def say to camp out at Dinosaur Natl Monument in Jensen, UT. Theres a camp ground right on the Green River where it comes out of the canyon. Fantasy Canyon is also a good stop....FYI, its a rock formation, not a strip club. Theres also the old gilsonite mines and trenches out in Bonanza.

I would love to do some more exploring in the Dragon area. Sounds like a great trip.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

just a thought, but it might make sense to have 2 or 3 groups that leave an hour apart. So the camping would all be together, but the traveling would be in smaller groups.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ive driven all over those areas for work.... and thats in a loaded down F350(~12k lbs road ready). Many of the roads are fairly well maintained due to oil field traffic these days. If you are out there I would def say to camp out at Dinosaur Natl Monument in Jensen, UT. Theres a camp ground right on the Green River where it comes out of the canyon. Fantasy Canyon is also a good stop....FYI, its a rock formation, not a strip club. Theres also the old gilsonite mines and trenches out in Bonanza.

I would love to do some more exploring in the Dragon area. Sounds like a great trip.

I'm not too worried about 90% of the roads, but there are some closer to the UT/CO border in the Bookcliffs that were VERY washed out last time I want thru there.

Camping at Dinosaur NM is a good idea, good call! I've seen Fantasy Canyon, would love to get back. There is a LOT of neat stuff to see beyond that, I love the whole area!

just a thought, but it might make sense to have 2 or 3 groups that leave an hour apart. So the camping would all be together, but the traveling would be in smaller groups.

Sounds good to me, as long as we can get a solid travel plan that everyone can follow. It can be a maze up in that area.

stimmie

I'd love to go, but have prior plans for that weekend. I think it would be fun to go through Nine Mile, up on top of Cottonwood Canyon, and then take the Horse Bench Road across the top and back down crossing the river and up to Sand Wash. Then through the oilfield and on to Ft. Duchesne and back down to Dragon and Rainbow etc.. Too bad I can't go..