Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

OK so my DRZ is in serious need of a full prep this winter. I picked up a YZ250 last year in hopes of making the DRZ more adventure oriented but later sold it as it wasnt what I was hoping it would be. Picking up another bike for the trail is still an option but unless I actually do some serious adventure rides Im not sure if its worth it. This is one Im thinking I would really like to do. From the sounds of it you need 10 days to do the whole thing but I would also be up for starting somewhere near the middle also and doing a 5-7 day trip. Basically I have a couple of friends that say they want to do this stuff one I know for a fact could not get a hall pass from the wife for more than a weekend the other Im not sure is confident on a bike enough to do a serious trip so unless I can make new friends that want to live for a week or more with not much more than a sleeping bag and a small mess kit I think I will keep the DRZ a trail bike.

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

and every time I need motivation to want to do this type of ride I read this.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385475

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm totally in, wanted to ride both the UTBDR and COBDR this Summer, but it didn't happen. :(

Would be nice to have someone to share the trail with. I'd be on a KTM 690 Enduro.

D

Deleted member 12904

Really that's all it would take? No gear storage or street legal requirements? I would seriously love to do it

kinda. Here are my thoughts.
Gear storage like the links posted above mostly straps with some holes in the plastics holding some drybags. I would build a small rack/support for my rear fender. Take the minimum and have a life story to tell.
Street legal? No, plated yes. I could help you with that. Worst case we may get a ticket for not having any lights but like we talked about when you came out to my place in remote areas Leo have never given me greef for fueling up or thing like that.

it doesn't have to be this exact route. I'm thinking getting two or three people. If we plan it on a weekend for one of the big bike races down in the north az area we could likely pitch in for gas and get a ride down south. And make that day 1. Day two through six head north camping along the way. Map out gas stops have a plan but be open to the adventure. Then the end of day six figure out a pick up point and have a truck and trailer meet us on day 7.

Tonkaman

I just re-read that whole trip report. WOW! I forgot how cool this trip looked the first time I read it a couple years back.

Dude, count me in

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'd love to attend depending on the dates, but I would be following in a 4 wheeled vehicle which could be beneficial to you fellas with two wheels. Sadly I don't have my motorcycle anymore.

Caleb

Uh, yeah... :D

FWIW, my opinion is getting enough gear on a CRF is going to be tough (not impossible, but tough). You will likely have to either stack the hell out of it, or wear a backpack. Both will obviously greatly hinder how you ride. I know when I rode HITR on my Husky, I had enough gear for two days (we were planning on being there for three so I was already cheating). I had a super lightweight sleeping bag, a single person tent, dehydrated food, a couple gallons of water, a small mess kit, and a small light weight stove. I basically was unable to shift my weight or move really at all on my bike by the time I got that loaded. It made for an interesting ride and, I believe, was a large contributor to me ultimately breaking my foot on that trip. That Husky was designed more for that kind of riding than a CRF is. Just sayin :D Although, if there was a 4-wheeled person following that you could offload some gear to, it would negate everything I just said :p

I actually was just talking to my wife about picking up a BMW in the Spring. This would be a great trip to justify the "need" for such a bike :D

Get some dates down and let's plan this instead of just talking about it :)

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Uh, yeah... :D

FWIW, my opinion is getting enough gear on a CRF is going to be tough (not impossible, but tough).

Yeah it has me a bit concerned too. I'll have to do a few trial runs to make sure I can handle that much gear on my back and strapped to the bike

D

Deleted member 12904

Like I said guys a trip to change the way I look at life. How much smaller is a CRF450 than a KTM 525?

334779853.jpg335647669.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There's cheaper alternatives but I'm still a big fan of the Wolfman products. The E12 saddle bags rock. They keep the weight down low. Collapse when not needed and they have plenty of attachments to secure a sleeping bag, tent, more luggage etc.

crappy cell phone pic probably upside down :eek:
photo-2_zps79ea4046.jpg

sixstringsteve

When we did the route, we really pushed hard to get through in 5 days. That didn't leave a ton of time to sit back and stop and enjoy each area. We saw it, then passed right through it. It was a little frustrating to not be able to stop in each spot, as they're all amazing.

If I were to do it again, I would skip the part in Green River north of I-70, and I would go around the La Sals instead of through Lockhart. That being said, I imagine Lockhart is a lot quicker and more enjoyable on a moto than in a 4x4.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I would actually really like to join.. I would have to rent a bike though.. No way am i trying it on a geared down 2t :)

Maybe one of those big KTM's or BMW's would be worth a shot