Any interest in local off-road park

Broken

I was just watching trucks and it reminded me of a proposition presented to me not to long ago. A friend of mine own tons of land just south of the Cross Roads in Utah County. It currently is gravel pits, and a professional outdoor nationals motocross track. He has some campsites already and is interested in putting an off-road park, more camping, more motocross, and possibly an amphitheatre he knew I was into rock crawling and motocross. I am also a General Contractor. He is also an excavator. He is willing to donate the land and the machines to do the work. He just needs some support some publicity some input and people willing to put in some hard work organizing and building is any one interested in such a thing? :D :D

Broken

more info

I have read the posts reguarding the ideas of other off-road parks. I think I have an idea of the concerns with trying to have one. Somethings to consider, it is closer to Salt Lake than Lil' Moab of 5 mile pass. The owner owns all the equipment and rocks being it is a gravel pit. Is this a bad idea, not worth the hassle, not needed. Let me know. And if you are interested, are you willing to help out?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Biggest problem I see would be the land owners liability. If someone rolls their rig & they loose an arm, how would you protect the land owner from being sued?

Also, would it be a 'pay to play' area? I think paying to wheel would be a hard sell. It would have to be a killer park to generate any income, if that were the case.

Broken

park

I don't have a ton of details. I know he has been good about allowing mototrcycles there I was thinking it could be fun to wheel there. I doesn't have to be a big deal. Is someone responsible for bodily injury liability at 5 mile pass or lil' moab? I don't know how it all works. I will check back tonight, but please keep posting comments and ideas.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Broken said:
I don't have a ton of details. I know he has been good about allowing mototrcycles there I was thinking it could be fun to wheel there. I doesn't have to be a big deal. Is someone responsible for bodily injury liability at 5 mile pass or lil' moab?

BLM Land... I believe you're responsible for yourself. Land owned by an individual is probably diffrent, but I'm no expert on this subject, so take it for face value.

You could probably have the land owner draft a legal document with a laywer stating that the area is some kind of LLC and in the business contract, mention that by entering the land, each person cannot hold the land owner liabale for injury... ???

Post a sign stating that at the entrance you may be past that obstacle.

Again, not anykind of expert on this stuff, just pulling it outta my ass.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
BTW... though I'm being a little negative, I do think it's a good idea. Not trying to shoot it down, just playing devils advocate. :)

JackKeslerCustoms

Liability is a huge issue. If it is privately owned land, even with an LLC, there is a degree of liability that the courts will never let you sign away, with waivers, or posting signs. Amusement parks have a waiver on the back of every ticket, and they successfully get sued all the time.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The best way out of the liability game is to make the land a trust land. Basically, you would give the land to the state of Utah with the stipulation that it would be for an off-road park. That's another hard sell though. I would be willing to pay for land access if it is a reasonable price, and the land is reasonably challenging. On site camping is a good bonus.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'd be glad to help if he decides to do it. I've got a lifetime of experience in construction, and about 4 years of backhoe and bobcat experience.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
The best way out of the liability game is to make the land a trust land. Basically, you would give the land to the state of Utah with the stipulation that it would be for an off-road park. That's another hard sell though. I would be willing to pay for land access if it is a reasonable price, and the land is reasonably challenging. On site camping is a good bonus.

I think that concept would be pretty cool. Still a lot to jump through for little gain?

Broken

park

I've only got a moment, but I have some more details. The land I'm refuring to is owned by Craig Wyman. He also owns CW trucking. His family origanally owned most of what is now Saratoga Spring, Lake Mountain, Jacob's Ranch, Pelican Bay. Pretty much most the North West side of Utah Lake. I believe the idea of an off-road park would to eventually generate some kind of rural hang out. Like I said he currently has an outdoor nationals track and I hear it was used in several televised races. He would be willing to let people use it and help build it in hopes of making something competition worthy. He just doesn't have the know how of rock crawling or the UROC scene. He is an easy going guy and at very least I think he would be willing to let us use his land under the conditions that we are considerate and willing to clean up after ourselves. I haven't taken my Jeep up there yet but I've explored on my motorcycle, and I think it could be a cool place to go. I don't know anything about the legal liabilities to him, but I know he has offered an open invitation for me and my brothers and friends to enjoy the land he has. I am just curious if there would be any support for a place like this, or if everyone is content with the land we currently use until the enviromentalists pay off enough people to take them away or homo land owners decide they don't want you on their land that they have never seen or ever plan to see other than on paper kinda like doughnut falls. ;)

plus, rock-crawling is getting huge, his attitude is either the hundreds of us get envolved and start this or his money and investors do it and we are all customers of his.

Last edited:

Broken

Hickey said:
You might tell him to contact UROC. They may be interested, or have additional ideas.

I considered that, I have just read posts or people that are not to happy with UROC. I thought it would be cool to have it a little more on the down low instead of immediatley giving the idea up to the money men. Just an idea.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You don't have to take their money. they might have some good advice. While UROC may get a lot of crap on the web, they do promote our hobby in ways we may not see.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Broken said:
I considered that, I have just read posts or people that are not to happy with UROC. I thought it would be cool to have it a little more on the down low instead of immediatley giving the idea up to the money men. Just an idea.

Probably the smartest thing to do would be to present this to the U4WDA. CruiserOutfit is the pres. and see where/what it went from there. Through an organization like that, there are MANY possibilities.

I'd give time and effort to make this a place to enjoy.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
Probably the smartest thing to do would be to present this to the U4WDA. CruiserOutfit is the pres. and see where/what it went from there. Through an organization like that, there are MANY possibilities.
Why didn't I think of that? :confused:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I like the idea, and am willing to help do stuff (roll heavy equipment...)

I understand there is a lot of liability involved, but if the land has already been used for motocross(tons of liability there too...) what is the difference if it is being used for wheeling? I admit I don't know much about how this stuff works, but I see the liability for a moto-x park being very similar to that which would come with an off-road park. er... wait...isn't it already an off-road park then? :confused:

Anyways...damn cool idea. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is this Kit Posey's Cactus Land track (East side of Redwood) or the other track on the West side of Redwood? I have ridden at Cactus Land's, pretty sweet, but not alot of property for a offroad park considering RS/Con/5MP is just a 20 min drive away... Would be a great spot for a venue such as a competion or club rides, etc.

Problem with most private racetracks, etc... they are 1 lawsuit away from closing their doors. Liability waivers are great, but do little to protect from frivoulous (you went wheeling, rolled your vehicle and want to sue???) lawsuits.

Have the landowner (or you) get ahold of me if this is something you are seriously interested in doing. That being said, the value of property for building (especially near the building boom areas on the West side of Utah Lake) far out weighs any revenue that will be made from a private offroad park by the time insurance is purchased.

Hope for the best :D