Any interest in local off-road park

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
That being said, the value of property for building (especially near the building boom areas on the West side of Utah Lake) far out weighs any revenue that will be made from a private offroad park by the time insurance is purchased.

Hope for the best :D

not to mention the potential problems that those future homeowners may cause because they didn't bother to research the area around their new home. I mean, how many times have you heard about a homeowner that wants to close down a (insert whatever here....airport, dump, etc.) that was there many years before the new homeowner's lot was even subdivided.

Broken

park

First of all, the track is the one on the west side of redwood, not Posey's. Second, the land is currently accessed by going through a neighborhood, but that could change. Also, I think it goes far enough West and into the hills that I don't see it being a prime building location anytime soon. Anyway, I will try to get a hold of the property owner soon and let him know that there is a growing interest for that kind of place. I think his main concerns in getting cooperation with this is the respect that comes from doing the work. He had an announcer booth get destroyed and vandallized from people he was willing to let use his land. I think he doesn't want to deal with doing the work and having someone destroy it. I will talk to him and try to organize a chance to access the land and have some people analyze it and determine if it's something worth persuing. Thanx. I will keep you posted.

JackKeslerCustoms

cruiseroutfit said:
Is this Kit Posey's Cactus Land track (East side of Redwood) or the other track on the West side of Redwood? I have ridden at Cactus Land's, pretty sweet, but not alot of property for a offroad park considering RS/Con/5MP is just a 20 min drive away... Would be a great spot for a venue such as a competion or club rides, etc.

Problem with most private racetracks, etc... they are 1 lawsuit away from closing their doors. Liability waivers are great, but do little to protect from frivoulous (you went wheeling, rolled your vehicle and want to sue???) lawsuits.

Have the landowner (or you) get ahold of me if this is something you are seriously interested in doing. That being said, the value of property for building (especially near the building boom areas on the West side of Utah Lake) far out weighs any revenue that will be made from a private offroad park by the time insurance is purchased.

Hope for the best :D

I've actually been looking in to doing this on a different piece of land for the last year now. The public trust would be the way to go if he's willing to donate the land. (Give it up with little or no compensation.) The Badlands offroad park in Attica IN pays $50,000+ per year for iliability insurance, not including legal fees to fight the lawsuits. And there are plenty of lawsuits. I'm still pursung the idea myself, but 'm also looking for a way to limit liability because it's a lot of money to invest to be one lawsuit away from being shut down.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Broken said:
First of all, the track is the one on the west side of redwood, not Posey's. Second, the land is currently accessed by going through a neighborhood, but that could change.
Is this the gravel pit out by Saratoga Hills?

958mtm

4x4 park

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, It's something i was planning on doing with my own land one day, not just for off roading but with some pretty nice scenery that includes a good 4x4 trail. I don't know about the idea of using for comps, it sounds good, but then i think the local crowd would fade out and it would become incorperated, maybe even monitered by the local government. Whatever you decide to do, i would just try to keep it fun and out of the courts. My 2 cents -J.L. ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the one thing you have to push...and push hard is the fact that...umm well...why pay for sex if you got a bunch of sluts that live right next door....if ya know what I mean!!

You have to offer something that cannot be found by wheeling on regular public land. We have some pretty kick ass stuff for free around the state so you have to draw a crowd away from those places and show them one helluva great time!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
spencurai said:
the one thing you have to push...and push hard is the fact that...umm well...why pay for sex if you got a bunch of sluts that live right next door....if ya know what I mean!!

You have to offer something that cannot be found by wheeling on regular public land. We have some pretty kick ass stuff for free around the state so you have to draw a crowd away from those places and show them one helluva great time!!

To further your analogy, if the terrain is good and the pay is less than what it would cost to get it for free, why not?

Broken

park

Thanks for the input guys. I will get in contact with him ASAP. I didn't really get into a lot of details with him at the time, I just told him I would try to find out if there would be support for such a place. I know it will take a lot of work and a lot of planning to carry out such a project. Realistically, it may be a long shot, but how sweet would it be if it all worked out? I'll let you know when I find anything else out. Thanx.

DToy

I'm in too. I'd donate my time to help build it, as well as assisting in researching the legal/liability aspects. I also work for a large construction company in the state. I think I could find several of our subcontractors that would donate time/equipment to help out. Let's get the ball rolling.

I think it would be a great place to educate others about our sport. I would pay some bucks to play to help support a place like this. I think it would be a great way to unify the wheeling community in our area.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
My $0.02

many people have been kicking around the idea of an offroad park in various locations. The only problem I see in making the idea work is getting customers. As Spence said, why pay when I can drive a little further and wheel for free. You have to prove that your place is the place to be. I would suggest hoasting limited events untill the word is out and people are asking to be let in at other times. For the first few events I would not charge very much, if anything.

Also, if someone wants to contribute work and machenery to help build the park those people should get perks, such as free admision for life. Those people would also spread word of mouth, which in your situation is proably the most valuable form of advertizing.

As far as liability goes, I have to beleve insurance and whatnot is going to be exactly the same as running a moto-cross track, and you probably won't even need to worry about that at all.

R

rockdog

My .02, Im not sure about others but to me. If Im going to pay to play, there will have to be challanging stuff. Like constrictor. You don't need heavy equipment for places like that. Just gulleys and big rocks. You can ride dirt roads with woops in em all day long in utah for free. Liability is a big issue. My son raced motocross for years. Thats one of the main reasons you don't see a lot of public motox tracks. Guys like Kip build their own and only let a few friends on em.

closhedbb

Where exactly is this land, Broken?

Broken,

Where is this land you're talking about? There's a place I go to all the time with my XJ south of Springville on 89. It's a gravel pit with lots of dirt right by a power relay station. i go farther back into the area and there's lots of trails back there. I even had a cop waiting for me one time when I went too far up the mountain. I know it's private property, and I have never gotten permission, but lots of other people go theer to go shooting and off-roading, so I just will keep going until I hear otherwise... Is that the area you are talking about or near it?

If you could, e-mail a response to closhedbb@hotmail.com Thanks!

-Brian

In Texas we have a place like this. It's called Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area. They require a small fee and some minimum safety requirements for getting on the property. They also make you sign a waiver that says you won't sue of someone gets hurt while riding around out there. They also have camping areas, RV hookups, and small gas station/store.

Of course, it's an easier sell in northeast Texas since there is much less public land available for offroading.

You might want to contact the people who run that place and get their advice on starting a similar park in Utah. I'm sure they'd have some good insight.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
closhedbb said:
...I even had a cop waiting for me one time when I went too far up the mountain. I know it's private property, and I have never gotten permission, but lots of other people go theer to go shooting and off-roading, so I just will keep going until I hear otherwise... Is that the area you are talking about or near it?...

Hrmmmmmm :confused:

phillippi

Never enough time
closhedbb said:
Broken,

Where is this land you're talking about? There's a place I go to all the time with my XJ south of Springville on 89. It's a gravel pit with lots of dirt right by a power relay station. i go farther back into the area and there's lots of trails back there. I even had a cop waiting for me one time when I went too far up the mountain. I know it's private property, and I have never gotten permission, but lots of other people go theer to go shooting and off-roading, so I just will keep going until I hear otherwise... Is that the area you are talking about or near it?

If you could, e-mail a response to closhedbb@hotmail.com Thanks!

-Brian

No the area he is talking about is on the WEST side of Utah Lake on the east side of Lake Mountain. It is just west of Saratoga Springs.

The area you are talking about is Crowd Canyon and is posted "NO TRESPASSING". The fact that noone personally told you means nothing as you already know its off limits. Not cool. :mad: