Any must do trails in the Uintahs?

audiofreak97

I read a trail report from Steve (I think) about Gold Hill up in the Unitahs so i decided to check it out. I've never been off the main road through that area and didn't know there were any "4x4" trails out there.
Found it on the map and decided to make a quick trip out of it. Nice easy trail, very nice for a get out of the city trip. Hoping to get a feel for how the fancy traction control stuff works in the new 4runner. Did the trail from Mirror lake HWY to Whitney Res in 2wd.

But on to my question. Are there any 'Must Do' trails out that way?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've only found the road into Murdoch Basin that's rougher than Gold Hill, and you don't need 4WD for that either. If there's anything properly "trailish" in the Mirror Lake area, I'd love to know about it.

DAA

Red Mountain is in the Uintas, probably the hardest legal trail in the Uintas I know of.

But for what most people in the Salt Lake area mean by "Uintas", probably Gardners Fork is the roughest I can think of - definitely rougher than Murdock, I never feel the need for 4Lo in Murdock. It starts at Smith and Morehouse. Dead ends up the mountain. Not difficult, but rough enough to want to use 4Lo just to go that slow. Scenic, too, except that most of it is timbered in to where you can't see the forest for the trees :D.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

If you liked gold hill, check out Miller Hill up AF Canyon (not the Uintas obviously).

Another rather rough, rocky road that I can think of is the road to McGath Lake off Hell's Backbone Rd near Boulder, UT. Beautiful lake at the end. Very tricky in a stock rig.

If you don't have one yet, I recommend getting a benchmark atlas of Utah. Just start looking at dirt roads that connect places you've never been to. Some will be highway smooth and others will be super bumpy. It's a great way to discover new areas and keep the exploration spirit alive and fresh.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Tried to find more info on red mountain. Anyone know a trail number or some directions. Only thing I could come up with is neat Molly's nipple. Is that it?

audiofreak97

I've been up Miller Hill to Graveyard flats... I can't remember how much farther I've been then that though, it's been a while. I defiantly need to make another trip up AF canyon, the last couple trips I've done have ended coming down on a spare tire.

Red Mountain looks awesome. Gives me some motivation to get my truck back on the road.

amp713

I havent done red mountain but it is fairly hard to find the trail up the red rock face, or thats what i keep getting told. Everyone is encouraging me to wait till our buddy can make it to show us where to start at.