any one hiked up bells canyon

Jedisdead

Jed
any one hiked up bells canyon (the canyon just south on little cottonwood canyon). I was just doing a little virtual scouting on google earth looked like a good place to do a little extended archery hunting any info of the area from you slc folks would be helpful thanks

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
yup, lived right by the mouth of little cottonwood in high school. Probably went backpacking up there at least 5 times a summer. also did a lot mtn. biking up there.... you can no longer take the neighborhood entrance, as they built houses up there, but there is a dedicated parking lot on the south side of little cottonwood road and just past wasatch blvd. as far as hunting, I have no clue.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I've hiked it quite a lot. Above the reservior it gets pretty steep/rocky. Very dense foliage also. Might be tough hunt, although it's a great place if you ever draw out on a goat.

krany

kranberry
well i have been up there twice this year(took the main entrance in[~10000 s. wasatch blvd]) and there is a sighn that says no hunting if my memory seves me right

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Likely no hunting in Sandy City's park/trail, but once you hit FS land I see no reason it would be illegal. I used to go up there all the time in junior high and high school back when the only way up was on the old road in the neighborhood. It used to be just a chain across the road, ~94' they put up a big gate and started plans for the re-routed trail.

I don't know what year it was, but at some point they breached the dam and severely lowered its volume? Seems they were worried about flooding the homes below if the dam broke?

There are some semi-open areas between the reservoir and Little Cottonwood Canyon, as Coreshot pointed out it really cliffs up above the waterfalls.

devilbikerdude

there is a really nice resevoir up top, maybe an 8 or 9 hour hike. its right below lone peak, fun place to camp and great fishing. I dont think it would be a very good place to hunt, the canyon gets very steep. there is probably to much snow now to reach the top, closer to the top you have to follow small rock stackings.