Any problems w/ 97 TJ's

DGM99TJ

a friend of mine has a 97 TJ for sale. Were there any problems with the first generation TJ's that got changed or fixed in 98 to present TJ's????

It seems there are always something that gets fixed on a first generation car or major change like the TJ's from the YJ's.

Wade O

If I recall right there were recalls on the fuel pumps, TPS, and some issues with the electrical system. It also seems like they reworked the vent/defrost in the 98's so they would work better. If I got my story straight D44's weren't an option until 98.

After I bought my 97 (used) I was on a first name basis with Cutrubus service for about 6 months. They replaced every engine sensor at least once, some as many as 4 times, two fuel pumps all the other stuff I have forgotten.

If I were buying another one, I'd by pass the 97's...

Wade

my 97 had to have the fuel pump and float fixed. I also had a recall on my Airbags (didn't know till I got in a wreck and they didn't work). And some sensors (oil pressure mainly) are a little wierd. I didn't buy mine from the dealer it was used but the dealer replaced all the recall stuff for free.

Bart

I'm building a 97 TJ now. They do have one real possitive to the other years. They have a better hood latch system than the newer models. Just thought I'd throw something positive out there.
Bart

WJL

My 97 had a 44 in the rear and 30x9.5x15 BFGS as the option with factory tow hitch.
I don't think the factory warrenty is good anymore for 97s DCs 7 year or 70,000miles:confused: could be wrong
Headers cracking at the welded collecor (where all tie together int 2.5 pipe) one to look for.