Any Safety Inspectors Here or Vehicle Law Know-It-Alls?

EROK81?

Sell out
I am building a car similar to this...

DSC01334.jpg

Mine will have regular tires, fenders (I can't figure out how to get away with no fender, which sucks :-\), and is it a bit higher - meets the 3" minimum by a couple inches. I'll throw some bumpers on as well for the inspection. It also has a trimmed DOT windshield.

My question is, if you are a safety inspector, would this pass? I've read the inspection manual and everything I can find about Utah's vehicle laws, and don't see anything with the car that would make it not pass/illegal.

I figure you guys might know something I don't when it comes to laws like this. The car is/was a 1960 Beetle. It's about 60% done and can post pics if you guys want.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I've got a few other things I've done in order to make it appear legal.

Edit...my chop isn't that extreme. The WS is a couple inches taller than a beer can.

EROK81?

Sell out
These are from a few months ago. It's bit further along now and a bit lower. Well, I'm throwing in some in progress ones as well.

CarSide.jpg

IMAGE_002.jpg

IMAGE_042.jpg

IMAGE_172.jpg

This is a good one. :rofl:
IMAGE_141.jpg

Yeah I know in this one everything is crooked and ugly, but I wanted to see what I would look like with tires, so I mocked the whole thing up. The tires are 31's here but I'll probably end up with 33's when it's done.

rearwithtires1.jpg

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
If I read this right......

You qualify to be registered as a "vintage vehicle" since you are older than 40 years

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....574.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

And vintage vehicles are exempt from the fender, mud flaps law

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....479.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

don't get too excited. I am asking more than saying since I am not sure on this. But what am I missing?

Also there is a "Special interest vehicle" that may have different options, see 56a

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....020.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

EROK81?

Sell out
If I read this right......

You qualify to be registered as a "vintage vehicle" since you are older than 40 years

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....574.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

And vintage vehicles are exempt from the fender, mud flaps law

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....479.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

don't get too excited. I am asking more than saying since I am not sure on this. But what am I missing?

Also there is a "Special interest vehicle" that may have different options, see 56a

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....020.htm?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0

I'm probably blind, but from that link and what I've read before, to run no mud flaps/fenders/vintage it has to be pre-'35?

That special interest vehicle looks promising though. :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's way cool, I love the ratrod bugs... the deep chop is badass. Are you going to get a drop axle for the front?

I'd consider building a chopped Bug... :eek:

EROK81?

Sell out
That's way cool, I love the ratrod bugs... the deep chop is badass. Are you going to get a drop axle for the front? I'd consider building one... :eek:

Mine's chopped and sectioned - around 12" total.

Nah, I'm keeping the stock linkpin front end and just flipped the trailing arms forward.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
yeah the last time I looked it up and asked an officer, they said if you did register it as a vinatge car, you could get away with no fenders, but they didn't want to see you driving it everyday;)

Greg

Admin
Mine's chopped and sectioned - around 12" total.

Nah, I'm keeping the stock linkpin front end and just flipped the trailing arms forward.

How difficult was the chopping & sectioning? I've never gone that far into sheetmetal work, did you just figure it out or do lots of reading to learn how?

I've seen that Speedway sells a Bug front axle kit, didn't know you could just flip the trailing arms... :cool: Man... you got me thinking. -_-

EROK81?

Sell out
That's way cool, I love the ratrod bugs... the deep chop is badass. Are you going to get a drop axle for the front? I'd consider building one... :eek:

After seeing the way you are painting your car, I might steal the idea..if you don't mind. I was going to go with a flat white or cream color on mine, I don't know what underneath color would be though.

I really wanted to build an american one like yours, but figured since I had the Beetle, I might as well use it.:p

Brett

Meat-Hippy
How difficult was the chopping & sectioning? I've never gone that far into sheetmetal work, did you just figure it out or do lots of reading to learn how?

I've seen that Speedway sells a Bug front axle kit, didn't know you could just flip the trailing arms... :cool: Man... you got me thinking. -_-

Greg's thinking of another project :eek:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Yeah I am not sure how they read that.

2Bi was made in America prior to 1935;
2bii is registered as a vintage vehicle; or
2biii is a replica vehicle as defined under Section 41-6a-1507

So does that mean it has to be older than 1935 OR vintage/replica :confused:

EROK81?

Sell out

Well....I hate to say this, but I've never done any sort of body work until this. :rofl:

Now that I've done it, there would be a few things I'd differently. Before this I only had experience with suspension and cutting bodies apart, not putting them back together. If you are fairly mechanically inclined, it's not that hard to do.

I don't really like those Speedway kits, I think the flipped arms look 10x better.

EROK81?

Sell out
Yeah I am not sure how they read that.

2Bi was made in America prior to 1935;
2bii is registered as a vintage vehicle; or
2biii is a replica vehicle as defined under Section 41-6a-1507

So does that mean it has to be older than 1935 OR vintage/replica :confused:

No clue. That's why I stopped reading about vintage a while back because I figured mine wasn't old enough. :(

Greg

Admin
After seeing the way you are painting your car, I might steal the idea..if you don't mind. I was going to go with a flat white or cream color on mine, I don't know what underneath color would be though.

I really wanted to build an american one like yours, but figured since I had the Beetle, I might as well use it.:p

Have at it, I stole the paint idea from someone else! :D The American car w/ a V8 is going to be fun for sure, but I like the idea of a Bug too. My wife loves VW Bugs but she wants some restored Super Beetle or something... :ugh: She hates the ratrod Bugs. :D

Greg's thinking of another project :eek:

Yeah, after the current 2 projects are done... :-\ I have a sickness.

EROK81?

Sell out
Have at it, I stole the paint idea from someone else! :D The American car w/ a V8 is going to be fun for sure, but I like the idea of a Bug too. My wife loves VW Bugs but she wants some restored Super Beetle or something... :ugh: She hates the ratrod Bugs. :D

Yeah, after the current 2 projects are done... :-\ I have a sickness.

You need to convince her to do a pre-65 beetle. Stay away from Super Beetles. So ugly.

There are a lot of people that hate ratrod bugs. I get a lot of hate for chopping this up.

may013.jpg

may005.jpg

I don't really have any good pics on this computer.

And it is sooo hard to stick to one project. I have about 6-7 brewing that I would love to buy/get started on.