Any silver buyers?

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I am looking at diviersifying my investments, last year when I was looking at buying silver when it was aprox. $17 a ounce and last week it was right around $47. DOH! The price has dropped to $41.36 so I guess my question is, is there anyone here who has more experiance in this matter and might be able answer some questions I might have? Like should I wait to see if the price comes down more? If so how would I know when is the right time? And others.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Go back in time a year and buy it then. I rode precious metals up all last year and sold all of them right at the beginning of January. I wouldn't get back in at these levels, but that's just me. I bought large cap domestics the first few months of 2011, and now I'm putting money in a mid-cap growth fund.

I probably wouldn't buy precious metals unless I truly felt like we were headed for another big crash soon. The end of QE2 could potentially bring that in June or July. I'm an optimist though, and I think we'll stay on an upward trajectory for the next few years.

Do you have any exposure to real-estate? I have a REIT that is one of my best performing funds this year.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Buying metals now is just as bad of an idea as investing in any other bubble... whose the next biggest idiot?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What device are you posting from? Inmate the deal? That's smartphone spellcheck-esque, but I thought you were fond of simple devices...

I am fond of simple devices. I am NOT posting from a SIMPLE device (well, now I am, but I was NOT before). I have the most CRAPTASTIC phone in the whole world now. Gadget factor=:cool: actual phone factor=:rofl::rolleyes::mad:

iPhone on ATT. Worst phone I've ever owned as far as dropping calls and getting a signal. I've dropped more calls with this phone in two-three months than I have the rest of the time I've been with ATT (likely 13 years or so?)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Buying metals now is just as bad of an idea as investing in any other bubble... whose the next biggest idiot?

Depends on why you are buying it. For a quick buck yes bad idea. For a hedge against economic collapse maybe less bad.

Plus not everyone can afford to pay taxes on a house in florida they don't live in:p

lets all take JL Rockies advice and invest only in sexayness and white mans pork.:rofl:

ID Bronco

so say you have some money in a 401 and you do think a reletively bad collapse is coming what would you do with it to not loose it, knowing you won't be making money on it?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
so say you have some money in a 401 and you do think a reletively bad collapse is coming what would you do with it to not loose it, knowing you won't be making money on it?

What kind of a collapse? Worldwide slump, like we saw in 2008-2009, or a downfall of America relative to the rest of the world? Hyper-inflation of the US dollar?