Any Telescope Gurus?

EROK81?

Sell out
Well I have finally decided it is time to buy a telescope. Since I have never owned one I don't really know what to look for - besides of course what is on google. I've found a few that look okay on ksl but figured I'd post here first incase anyone has advice/tips. I have about 200/250 to spend on one. I don't really care about computerized tracking...unless that makes a tremendous difference?

Stacey

We bought one about 4 or 5 years ago, a 14" meade RSX 400. The biggest thing I would say is, starting out buy a simple telescope, ours is so complicated it just sits in the shop. There are some clubs in SLC including:

Name: Salt Lake Astronomical SocietyAddress: P.O. Box 26114, Salt Lake City, UT 84126-0114 USAContact: Robert MoorePhone: 801-580-0466Email: bmoore@commercecrg.com URL: WebsiteMembers: 185 members

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Extra money on a quality reflector and mirror will be worth more than the tracking. You can see a lot of cool stuff with a good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. You can go to the clark planetarium and see/hold many different models. There should also be a resident nerd to talk to about them.

DAA

I've got a Meade with tracking. The tracking is/was cool and pretty useful when I bought the telescope five or six years ago. Now a days though, I find it faster and easier to use Google Sky Map on my phone to find things and then aim the telescope manually.

So, my advice would be, spend on optical quality over the tracking, if you have that choice.

And... Speaking of optical quality... The Meade I have doesn't have much of it... It's "okay", but, just barely.

Mesha mentioned binoculars and spotting scopes. Depending on what you really want to do with the telescope, in the price range you are looking at, you might want to consider that. I have a Swarovski spotting scope with vastly superior optical quality compared to my Meade telescope. Of course, it was vastly more expensive too... On the other hand, I also have an old Bushell spotting scope, that cost about $250, that is still also clearly much better optics than the Meade.

Don't under rate the importance of a good tripod or the potential comfort of lack thereof of the eyepiece viewing angle/position either. These things can/will make or break the viewing experience.

- DAA

Cherokeester

Last edited:

DAA

I have a great hook up on Swarovski if a spotting scope is something your interested in. I have saved friends a lot of money.

Does that apply to Swaro binocs as well? I love my 8.5x42 EL's, but they are just a bit on the bulky/heavy side and so I often leave them behind and carry a small Nikon binoc instead. Have been considering some 8x32 EL's for a smaller, lighter pair. Dropping another $2K on binocs isn't really in the budget for this spring, but if I could get them at a good price?

- DAA

EROK81?

Sell out
The dobsonian will give you better views but takes more car room and is harder to hall around. I would still go with the dob.

Well...the dob it is.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll post a pic once I get it. My wife may not be too thrilled as it is almost 5ft tall. :rofl:

rholbrook

Get me a model number of what you want and I will get a price.

Does that apply to Swaro binocs as well? I love my 8.5x42 EL's, but they are just a bit on the bulky/heavy side and so I often leave them behind and carry a small Nikon binoc instead. Have been considering some 8x32 EL's for a smaller, lighter pair. Dropping another $2K on binocs isn't really in the budget for this spring, but if I could get them at a good price?

- DAA

DAA

Get me a model number of what you want and I will get a price.

My sanity is partially returned today :D. Yesterday I was thinking 8x32 EL, but today I'm thinking more realistically, like 8x30 SLC.

But, honestly, I REALLY shouldn't be buying another binocular anytime soon. I'm probably just window shopping/tire kicking. Don't sweat it on getting the prices - if it works out easy for you, I wouldn't mind knowing. But, really, it's probably best that I not know :rofl:.

- DAA

rholbrook

I will PM you with the pricing as soon as I get them.

My sanity is partially returned today :D. Yesterday I was thinking 8x32 EL, but today I'm thinking more realistically, like 8x30 SLC.

But, honestly, I REALLY shouldn't be buying another binocular anytime soon. I'm probably just window shopping/tire kicking. Don't sweat it on getting the prices - if it works out easy for you, I wouldn't mind knowing. But, really, it's probably best that I not know :rofl:.

- DAA

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I got lucky a few years ago when I found a brand new Meade with upgrades at the DI for $50, it doesn't have tracking but I love going up to Park City with it and usually take it to Moab with me. It is easy to use and I think it even has a camera adapter somewhere in the box, but I don't have an SLR to use with it.