Anybody interested in another post-license ham radio class?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
EDIT: I have arranged to use the conference room at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep in American Fork on Monday, March 27th from 6pm to 8pm.

In the spirit of the upcoming Easter Jeep Safari--where vehicle communication is a very good thing--would anyone be interested in holding another hands-on ham radio class? This would be a chance to begin learning what to actually do with your new (?) ham radio license, how to use the confusing new radio you bought, and focus on some helpful information for better mobile operation. Yes, I just did something similar last month, though there were a number of people who wanted to attend that event but could not. I was asked to hold another one of these classes "in the near future" in the hope that they might be able to attend.

I would probably prefer to choose a location in Utah county this time, though even that could be up for debate depending on the will of the people. Ideally, I'd like to do this before April. That way, people would have time to order and receive some new hardware before EJS arrives. This time around, I can be less talky and spend more time using radios (depending on what the attendees want). Anyone?

EDIT #2: Here is lots of info explaining what this class will be, and what it will not be.

Are you new to the world of ham radio? Did you recently pass the Technician test and receive your call sign, only to be left scratching your head wondering what to do next? Have you had your license for a long time but you still haven't done anything with it? Maybe you even went and bought a cheap Baofeng handheld radio, but you haven't figured out how to use it? Perhaps you want to buy a mobile radio, but you're confused by all the technical mumbo jumbo such as the difference between a 1/4 wave antenna and a 1/2 wave antenna... and, besides, you hate fractions anyway.

Don't fret. Back in early December, Kevin and I first suggested getting together one evening for some casual instruction about the basics of ham radio, including figuring out how to use these fantastically cheap but outrageously frustrating Baofeng handhelds. I am by no means a ham radio expert, but I am always eager to share some knowledge and experience in order to help newcomers get started and become comfortable with their radios. To that end, I have held small group meetings with new hams on a few occasions to help them get going in the hobby... and I'm willing to do so again.

To be clear, this is not a class to help you study for and pass a license test (though, of course, many things we discuss will have been mentioned in the test questions). Instead, my goal is to help you begin to use the license you've already earned. A few of my planned topics for the meeting include:
- reviewing some of the basic rules of operation
- a few thoughts on radio etiquette
- some popular jargon and what it all means in plain English
- simplex verses duplex operation (ie, using repeaters)
- pros and cons of various radios and antennas, with an emphasis on mobile use
- how to program the radio you already have
- actual practice at making radio contacts with your radio
- useful web sites for information you'll want/need

There will be no fancy PowerPoint presentations. Instead, this will simply be a casual group discussion that I'll happen to lead--no stress, and there will be no tests. My only hope is that you'll walk out the door with more knowledge and radio experience than you had before you showed up, and that you'll feel confident and comfortable enough to use your radio to talk to a complete stranger.

Are you required to have a ham radio license in order to attend? No. However, I believe you'll get much more out of this event if you've already studied for and passed your Technician license exam. If you don't have a license, much of this information will go over your head or, worse, simply confuse you.

Are you required to have a ham radio in order to attend? No. But again, I definitely think you'll get a lot more out of this if you've got a radio to start using right then and there (assuming you haven't used it already).

Last edited:

Bart

YES, I felt bad I couldn't make it to the last one, and if it's in Utah County, it will be easier (for me) to get to.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Dempsey. Have you ever set up your mobile to work as a repeater? Is your radio able to do this?

Also, have you made any antennas? Would something like this be appropriate for a get together like this? Maybe in the future you'd be open to doing something for experienced users interested in maybe doing more less basic things?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Have you ever set up your mobile to work as a repeater? Is your radio able to do this?

I have not done this, primarily because my Yaesu FT-7900R does not have that capability. Be advised: it's a bit of a tricky situation. Even if your radio has the physical capability, to use it legally in this manner means you as the operator must configure it so that it (automatically) self-identifies every 10 minutes. There was a recent FB discussion about this exact thing, and how some crossband-capable radios are very difficult to configure to do this.

Also, have you made any antennas? Would something like this be appropriate for a get together like this?

I like to stay basic, for a few reasons:
1) I am surrounded by newly-licensed operators who are reluctant to operate due to lack of knowledge/experience
2) I enjoy breaking down concepts and explaining things in practical ways that are easy to understand
3) particularly for mobile operation, I like to share good tips and ideas that promote effective radio use

Have I ever tried building an antenna? No, because I've never needed to do so and also because I lack the testing equipment to make sure the result is properly tuned to frequency. Someday when I actually get into HF, I'm certain that will change... but for now, I see no need to build my own. Quality 2m and 70cm antennas are just too cheap and plentiful for me to bother at this point.

I'm not the only one who can do this sort of thing, Nate. If you want to host a group antenna building party, go right ahead. :)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Also, have you made any antennas? Would something like this be appropriate for a get together like this? Maybe in the future you'd be open to doing something for experienced users interested in maybe doing more less basic things?

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I'd be down for a little DIY/workshop night.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The only time I turn on my radio is when I'm on the trail. I'm just not a rag chewer and don't expect that I'll ever be one which to me really means I have no need to build an antenna. I guess I just asked because I wasn't sure how much you had tinkered with your gear and to what extent you were taking the hobby. I know its a serious thing for you Dempsey, I just didn't know to what extent you had started to build or DIY.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
GREAT NEWS!

I have a venue reserved for Monday evening: the conference room at my dealership (it's in the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep building). There is a large table with space for a dozen people; in addition, there are another 14 or 15 chairs arranged around the perimeter of the room. That should be plenty of space. As an added bonus, there is a white board and even a flat screen TV to use (if I can figure out how to link to it from my laptop).

We only have it until 8pm since that's closing time, so I'm tentatively planning for us to begin at 6:00pm. Sound good?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wish I could make it..... but i'll be at work

Not to worry. I'm sure I won't go over anything in this class that wasn't covered the last time. No need to attend this one if you went to the Museum event.

EDIT: I went back to the first post of this thread and added information about the goals for this class. If you never read my post(s) for the last class at the Land Cruiser Museum, be sure to read this newly-added info.

Last edited:

Bart

Looking forward to this. I am in the new cheap handheld category that is not even programmed yet. Yep, I'm a slacker at the ham game.

sixstringsteve

wish I had been in town to attend this. I need to brush up on my radio's features (like setting it up as a crossband repeater)

sixstringsteve

I've been hopping on the sinbad system these past few days lately since I'm back in Utah now. I finally got APRS set up correctly in the van and on my HTs. I've been sending and receiving packets, and it's a fun element of HAM that was just theoretical to me in the past.

I'm thinking of installing an antenna on the Airstream and tying in to my HT so I can have a pseudo setup in the Airstream that can be disconnected when I want to walk around. That way I can chat with my wife while she's driving the van around (and see where she is for fun... not that I don't trust her, I do).