Anybody use CenturyLink internet?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The fiber option was what they pitched me with a guaranteed speed of 20 megs. Apparently they had just got fiber the my node and they said I'd have a straight shot from the node to my house so speed wouldn't degrade with more users. Its interesting though because regardless they didn't run the fiber all the way to my house so it terminates same as everywhere with the phone line connection. I haven't monitored it for a while but when I was my speeds were 7-10 megs on average.

Caleb

Yeah, the century link fiber isn't really full fiber. You also still won't get your full speeds on it, on a 40mb line, expect to see a max of probably 37-38mb with ideal connections.

CobraNutt

Yeah, the century link fiber isn't really full fiber. You also still won't get your full speeds on it, on a 40mb line, expect to see a max of probably 37-38mb with ideal connections.
That's what speed I typically test at on my laptop at home with my Centurylink 40mb. I must be the lucky one in the group. :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've had Comcast (expensive and annoying with their promotion crap). Reliable and decent bandwidth. I went to Digis for 18 months in the other house and it was fine. Not awesome but fine. We are using EchoBroadband (Davis county areas availability) and I like it better than Digis and it's the same price every month. Kind of nice but I'll reserve my opinion. Vivint just put up a tower in our 'hood and I've got my ear peeled for info on that.

If Comcast would quit playing games, I'd go back. However, I'm sick of promotions and calling back/forth about billing. Annoying, IMHO

ozzy702

We had Century Link, it sucked big time. Terrible speeds, poor service, lots of down time and not any cheaper than the current comcast internet we're using that is twice as fast and has been down once in the past year for a few hours. I have regularly pull 50 down and around 12 up. Comcast as was said above is the lesser of two evils here. I want google fiber, but that may be awhile before it's offered here.

jentzschman

Biggest issue with CL is their upload speed. It's something like 800kbps (kilobytes per second) not even a full megabyte last time I checked. They do not tell you how important it is to have fast upload speeds as well.

I will never use them again if I can help it.

Correction 896Kbps...

blznnp

we didn't have any issues for the month we had it, except the crap that we were told by the sales lady (who worked for century link) that wasn't true, we did it with a bundle deal with direct tv, about 3 months later of constantly dealing with direct tv and century link, we got it mostly handled, fees waived, and service disconnected. We have switched a couple times from comcast to someone else, I will just stay with comcast from now on. Might be more expensive but I have had the best service with them, tv and internet. It seems to be a hassle everytime we switch.