Anybody wanna watch the Perseid meteor shower on August 11th with me?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
wouldn't a 2- or 3-yr-old be bored out of their mind? All we'll be doing is sitting in lawn chairs (or lying on a blanket) and looking up.

This was my reasoning for going out on our own. My children are super well behaved, but holding still for hours is not on their list of top 10 ideas of fun. (Today's church meeting for example) however, a beanbag in the back of the truck with some treats will have them in heaven.

I also didnt know what to expect as far as the behavioral situation. Is this a movie type situation with minimal talking, and some ooohs and aaahs, or bbq type chit chating while staring up at the sky??

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
When I have watched meteor showers in the past, it has NEVER been a formal theater-type experience. To use your terminology, it is much more like a backyard BBQ event. There is typically constant chatter/banter throughout (since there is no meteor dialogue to interrupt) provided it is at a reasonable volume. Also, we don't necessarily stay 100% motionless, either--all are free to move around, use telescopes (if you have one to bring--I do not), consult star charts, etc. About the only rule is to not turn on white lights unless completely necessary so as to not ruin everyone's night vision.

a beanbag in the back of the truck with some treats will have them in heaven.

That sounds like a great idea. Brin them along! If I had a pickup and bean bags, I'd probably do that, too.

In summary, I guess it'll be like an evening with friends gathered around a campfire... but without the fire.

jentzschman

Just to clarify, meeting at the snakes parking lot just around from 5mp at about 1030 pm?

I have always wanted to catch a good meteor shower. As soon as I know my work schedule for that week, I will know for sure if I would be wiping to come.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
UPDATE

I watched the weather report last night. It looks like conditions will be perfect for star gazing: no clouds and the temp will be in the low 70s. Awesome!

I hope to see you all there.

jeeper

Count me out of the group. My mother decided to watch our kids, so just my wife and I are going out. Being as we are going out in the middle of nowhere, alone, with beautiful night sky's, this might to too good to have others around for ;)

Cascadia

Undecided
My wife and I and little brother are going up to the hope to hobble road. It's not too far out of town but close enough so we can get home if our son freaks out at the in laws.

Tonkaman

I spent the night out above strawberry last night and caught the beginning of the show. We saw atleast 50 meteors in about 4 hours, it was great! Too bad Jeeper isn't going to see the show.....

Poe_student

Great show tonight. Could not find the right turn off to meet up with everyone so ended up near the Pony Express Trail turn off.

Cascadia

Undecided
Just got home. I counted 36 and we were out there for about an hour and a half. Pretty fun. We would have stayed longer but my brother decided to tell a scary story. After a sketchy truck passed we had no problem calling it a night.

STAG

On my grind
Saw a ton out at 5mp. Clouds started to roll in about 1:30 so we all left. The wind got sorta gusty there for an hour or so, hooray for having the truck bed to bunker down in.

jeeper

We didn't see many... I think we parked in a bad spot. (Insert shifty eyes here)
We did see one totally awesome star that came in, about died out, and then really lit up bright. It lasted a full 2 seconds or so.
Helped some folks change a flat on the way home, got back about 3.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I went just past five mile, stayed for 1.5 hours, and saw a bunch. Wife got some great star pics, but not sure if we caught a meteor yet or not.

Fantastic show... i've never seen the tails change color like that before.