Anyone been on the single track up on the Squaw Peak Road

jdub

Scrambler
I know of single track MTB trails up there. Where is the trailhead found. I live minutes away and am pretty familiar with the trails up there. What are you doing on it?

Clutch

I called the PG Ranger station and they said it is a Motocycle single track from the Squaw Peak road up.
He said it goes over the mountain to Big Springs or "Something" Mill. He said it's a pretty tough trail.
I have a bike set up for low range single track so I'm not to worried, but....
Have you been over the mountain on it?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I called the PG Ranger station and they said it is a Motocycle single track from the Squaw Peak road up.
He said it goes over the mountain to Big Springs or "Something" Mill. He said it's a pretty tough trail.
I have a bike set up for low range single track so I'm not to worried, but....
Have you been over the mountain on it?

Are you talking about the Ridge Trail? That's trail #157. There's a parking lot at the top of the Alpine Loop and you can hop onto the trail right there. There are several intersections that take you different directions to other routes, not all are opened to motorcycles. You used to be able to ride down to Tibble Fork Res, which was a hell of a ride. The AF Canyon Field Office should have free maps of the trail system, you should familiarize yourself with the area then plot out a ride. The South Fork Deer Creek Trail is my favorite section up there, lots of rolling terrain that allows for a bit more speed. You can drop down to Cascade Springs and check that place out, if you like. I've been all over up there, ridden into Heber and back a couple times. It can be quite crowded on the weekends, if you can get up there on a weekday you will enjoy it soooooooooo much more.

The Ridge Trail will lead into Mud Springs, that would be one of the first intersections you hit. If you stay on the Ridge Trail you will eventually ride above Forest Lake. That section of trail gets SKETCHY on a motorcycle, ask Von. :D If you drop your bike there, bail and just say buhbye.

The trail itself is amazing, depending on where you go it can be quite technical. Some of the upper portions can be quite rocky, with big roots crossing the trail and steep, loose climbs.

I have ridden in on a WR400 and a DRZ400 in the past, which was a good sized bike for those trails. Last year I rode it with Von, he was on his KTM450EXC-RWASDF or whatever and I was on my DR650. The 650 was too much bike for those trails, I got my ass kicked.

Here's a crappy map of the area-

m-ridge2.gif

Map and more trail info from- http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/ridge157.htm

I have some videos somewhere around here, I'll try to find them.

Clutch

Hey Greg, thanks for the info on #157. I wanted info on that too. Funny you run those on such big bikes, my buddy and I have Slickrock ready Yam DT 175's. They are older then you!!
The trail I'm talking about is above the Squaw Peak road between Provo Canyon and Hobble Creek farther south.
The trail goes from the middle of that road to upper South Fork up Provo canyon. FS 060.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey Greg, thanks for the info on #157. I wanted info on that too. Funny you run those on such big bikes, my buddy and I have Slickrock ready Yam DT 175's. They are older then you!!
The trail I'm talking about is above the Squaw Peak road between Provo Canyon and Hobble Creek farther south.
The trail goes from the middle of that road to upper South Fork up Provo canyon. FS 060.

Gotcha, I'm not too familiar with that area on the South side of Provo Canyon, most of my travel up there has been in a 4x4. I know there's a trail that drops down into Rock Canyon from Squaw Peak Rd, my brother has mtn biked it.

Sounds like those 175's are a great trail bike! The 650 worked on those trails, but I don't know that I'll try it again. :rofl: The 400's were perfect up there, IMO.

Clutch

This is the Rock Canyon trail above the Campground. Momo's above, MTB's below.

I think we are heading up to Mineral fork tomorrow evening

Corban_White

The PG ranger station

390 N 100 E
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062-2350
(801) 785-3563

has summer travel maps avaliable for $10. They show all the legally open routes and what they are designated for. (hikers, horses, MTBs, dirt bikes, atv's and 4x4s)