Anyone bored a motorcycle cylinder lately.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I got my hands on a dirt bike this week and it may need to be bored out. Anyone had a cylinder machined out lately? Can anyone recommend a shop?
How much did it cost you? I have the jug off, I was hoping to just have it bored, then put it all back together myself.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
OK thanks guys. I'll call those places.
I don't know if it has nicasil, What is nicasil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

How new is the bike/what is it? 2 or 4 stroke? Nikasil is found in most modern motorcycle cylinders and it is not supposed to be bored. Although you can bore through it and use an oversized piston if you have a steel sleeve under it--not recommended but it has been done many times. On some bikes the Nikasil is actually applied right to the aluminum bore without the use of a steel sleeve and that really causes problems in higher mileage bikes ask me how I know :rolleyes:

If it comes down to it you may need to send the cylinder out to have it re-Nikasil plated. Or you can contact LA Sleeve and just have a machine shop sleeve the cylinder and eliminate the Nikasil altogether I actually prefer that route but that is my personal preference.