Anyone dealt with a factory warranty?

Cascadia

Undecided
My wife's sti developed a terrible rod knock yesterday out of nowhere. At least I think it's rod knock. Sounds like rocks in the motor. You can only hear it at 1800 rpm or above which seems strange to me.

Anyways, the car only has 46 k miles. Factory warranty is 5 yr or 60k miles so it's covered under both. I'm getting conflicting stories on what will void a warranty from different dealerships. Has anyone dealt with a factory warrant and you know what kind of things void a factory power train warranty? I don't want to back myself in a corner. I have exhaust, lowering springs, and that's it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Laws prevent a warranty from being voided by peripheral items, i.e. unless they dealer can reasonable exhibit that the exhaust or lower springs caused the internal engine damage, they must warranty.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Gee, wouldn't it be nice if you knew somebody who worked at your local Subaru store? ;)

On the surface, it sounds like it should be covered by the powertrain warranty. However, the ultimate call--and most people don't seem to comprehend this--is made by the manufacturer. (After all, they are the ones offering the warranty--not the dealership.) We will happily inspect the car, tell them what we see, and then they will make their judgement call.

If you want/need any inside info or assistance, feel free to PM me. I will gladly assist any RMEer in any and every way I can.

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks Dempsey. I thought you just worked at the Jeep part. I will pm you when I get home. I'll have some questions for you. Thanks for chiming in.

Caleb

Laws prevent a warranty from being voided by peripheral items, i.e. unless they dealer can reasonable exhibit that the exhaust or lower springs caused the internal engine damage, they must warranty.

Yep, it falls under an act called something like the Magnuson Moss Act.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
It's weak though. The dealership I was at had a new Silverado towed in and the diagnosis was trans failure. GM sent an inspector in ans denied the claim due to the oversized wheels, tires and 6" lift stating the trans failed due to the excessive stress on the drivetrain. The customers extended warranty company also denied the claim. What saved the guy's butt was the dealer in CO who sold him the truck and warranty also put the wheels, tires and lift on for him.

Kooler than Mudd.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
So far everyone is correct including the Magnuson-Moss act which basically states that the factory must be able to prove that those modifications directly caused the failure. (In this case, you should be fine).

Keep in mind it is your responsibility to provide all service records since you've had possession of the vehicle. It's also the owners responsibility to maintain proper oil levels at all times :eek:

I deal with these situations everyday, including with Subaru and am also glad to help a fellow RME'r. Let me know if you need anything else.

P.S. Make sure you ask them to double check the turbo impeller, flush the lines and replace the banjo bolts when doing the repair. Good news is, we have great Subaru dealers in this state and you'll be in good hands!

Best of luck!!

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Prior to taking the vehicle in for assessment, perform some thorough investigation on common issues so you have backup if they attempt to deny the claim.

Also, ensure that all owner maintenance tasks have been complied with ie, inflating tires, topping off all fluids and washing/vacuuming.

An obviously cared for vehicle translates into " this is not a hotrodded pile that I beat the piss out of".

Cascadia

Undecided
I've only had the car for 4 months so maintenance records are hard to come by. Especially since most of us on here do our own oil changes and such. I changed the oil when I got it and my wife has only put 4k on it since. It never had even a drip of oil underneath and first thing after I parked it was I checked the oil. Still at the full line.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
You should be fine. You aren't responsible for previous ownership. Just make sure you have a receipt, Subaru requires you change the oil every 7,500 miles. So I'd say you're in good shape. Just make sure there's no boost control or waste-gate mods done by the previous owner!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Thanks Dempsey. I thought you just worked at the Jeep part.

Dirty little secret: my desk is actually in the Subaru building. (Don't tell anyone on RME, though!) Since I can cross-sell any of our vehicles, this really is insignificant. And when it comes to service, I can also get involved no matter what the brand of vehicle. I have lots of flexibility here. :)

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I've only had the car for 4 months so maintenance records are hard to come by. Especially since most of us on here do our own oil changes and such. I changed the oil when I got it and my wife has only put 4k on it since. It never had even a drip of oil underneath and first thing after I parked it was I checked the oil. Still at the full line.

Just food for thought, if you keep the receipt of the filter and oil purchase for your vehicle it can count in your favor even if it is done at home, they can check to make sure the filter on the receipt fits the car f they think its questionable (but 99% wont). It looks even better If you log the date/mileage(in a book/note pad ect ) that the oil was changed (date in the notes matching the receipt) and it shows proper maintenance and intervals, then its hard to argue even if its not done at a dealer or shop. it doesn't state all work has to be done at a dealer or "reputable or approved shop" in order to count. I have seen customers engines/transmissions be covered due to there notes multiple times. However it truly does come down to the manufacturer and sometimes requires a representative to come and inspect for them self's.

In your specific situation I think your good, exhaust is after the fact and can't cause engine bearings to fail. The springs would probably only void the struts (assuming there stock) If I received your vehicle as a Tech I would fight in your favor. Either way shouldn't be an issue and good luck!

Make sure your tires aren't bald...
The old LHM Subaru denied warranty on my STi and the service writer said it was because my tires were bald so 'clearly' I was hot-rodding it around.... That service writer was also a bit of an ass

Troop92

We had to use the powertrain warranty on our 2006 Nissan Murano. We purchased it in Dec 2009 from Ken Garff Nissan in Orem. Lease return, 39k miles on it. We drove it another 10k miles, with full-synthetic changes every 5k miles. It was just 150 miles after my last oil change and noticed white smoke nearly all the time from exhaust -- it is my wife's DD, so i don't see the car that often from behind.

We'd moved by that point, took it in to KG Nissan Riverdale to have a non-related recall issue done and told them to check it out at the same time. They called back that afternoon.... "Yes, Kyle, your Murano's engine is completely sludged up. You had a quart of oil in it when you brought it in, the oil return is nearly blocked... You need a new engine." :eek: Um, fail. So we took in all documentation of oil changes since we had it, and initially they and the extended warranty place both said it was the others responsibility. I was livid, pointed out that we bought from the KG group, that it had all of 49k miles on it and that while I had it, it was babied.... Nissan finally relented, and we got a brand new engine out of it. Not reman, NEW. Would have cost me just over $7,000 from the dealership had the warranty not been in effect.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks to Dempsey, our 08 STI is being warrantied for a new motor!! I'm sure he played a roll in it and he kept us informed. He doesn't know me but he did everything he could to help us out. Thanks Dempsey!! Can't wait to get our STI back with a brand new motor and turbo!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Thanks to Dempsey, our 08 STI is being warrantied for a new motor!! I'm sure he played a roll in it and he kept us informed.

While I did play a part, I'll be the first to admit that it was definitely a group effort. I'm glad we were able to reach a positive resolution. :)