Anyone dealt with UPS and a lost package?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
So, short story is that UPS delivered a package to me on the 2nd. Well, it was not the regular driver and they left it in front of my door (I live in a apartment complex, regular driver always delivers to the main office.) So I come home an hour after I see notice it's been delivered, no package. Call UPS and file a claim for a lost package.

A week later, they leave a notice at my door, asking for my contact info. So I leave that, they pick it up the next day and I finally hear from them today, telling me to call the police and file a report, then call them back with the case number. They said that this will go to their security department?

So what does this mean? The police can't do anything, since this took weeks for UPS to even get back to me. The package is obviously gone and hasn't ever been delivered. Would UPS refund the money to the shipper so that I could get my items or what?

Any ideas RME? :(

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
So what does this mean? The police can't do anything, since this took weeks for UPS to even get back to me. The package is obviously gone and hasn't ever been delivered. Would UPS refund the money to the shipper so that I could get my items or what?

Any ideas RME? :(

It means, one of your neighbors has a brand new bong, and you're SOL.. :brett:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
It means, one of your neighbors has a brand new bong, and you're SOL.. :brett:

Those bastards!

As a follow up, I did what UPS asked, filed a police report with Murray PD. Called UPS back to let them know what the case number is and they tell me that the claim is closed and to contact the shipper. WTF, they called an hour previous to that and said to call them back??

:mad::mad:

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I'd push it with them, since they're the ones who asked you do X,Y, and Z.

I'm thinking that it might be good to stop by the facility below Redwood Rd tomorrow, maybe they know who this "Crystal" was that called. I tried calling the number she called from, but it doesn't take incoming calls, go figure. :rolleyes:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Call the shipper. The shipper has the decision to make it 'signature required' or add any special delivery instructions... at this point UPS did their job and delivered it to the instructions provided by the shipper. Sucks, believe me I know I've been in this situation a handful of times. But if I send something 'no signature required' I'm taking the risk that it may be stolen after UPS drops it off.

Now it comes down to the agreement you and your shipper have. I have a disclaimer that customers need to request a signature required if they are worried about their package, though I've still been stuck with re-sending an item a couple of times just to keep the customer happy. Raw deal for all sides.

Now if UPS never dropped off the package, ie tracking shows it in limbo, they cover it and in my experience they have been pretty good to do so.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I agree w/Kurt... after you straighten things out w/the whole calling deal. If they're not going to do anything, then why bother having you go through that trouble? I'd stop just to register my discontent.
Other than that, yeah, they did their job. *shrug. I might be keeping a close on the other hippies nearby though hehe, so you could like, harsh their mellow for taking yer stuff.

Caleb

I agree w/Kurt... after you straighten things out w/the whole calling deal. If they're not going to do anything, then why bother having you go through that trouble? I'd stop just to register my discontent.
Other than that, yeah, they did their job. *shrug. I might be keeping a close on the other hippies nearby though hehe, so you could like, harsh their mellow for taking yer stuff.
They can't and won't do anything for Brett. As Kurt mentioned, it's between the shipper and UPS. If there was insurance on the package, and they pay out, it goes to the shipper not Brett.

Brett, do what Kurt suggested, call the shipper and see what they can/will do. Being the shipper many times (I was a shipping manager in my previous life :D) I've dealt with this stuff many times and UPS has ALWAYS paid out on insurance if it was a legit claim. In fact if there was damage, we would usually get a check for the damage before we had been notified byt he customer that there was damage. FedEx on the other hand...let's just say there is a reason we never shipped anything with them and my current company refuses to use them as well. We are probably UPS's largest customer in Utah, so they are missing out on a large account and they know it :p

Brett

Meat-Hippy
They can't and won't do anything for Brett. As Kurt mentioned, it's between the shipper and UPS. If there was insurance on the package, and they pay out, it goes to the shipper not Brett.

Brett, do what Kurt suggested, call the shipper and see what they can/will do. Being the shipper many times (I was a shipping manager in my previous life :D) I've dealt with this stuff many times and UPS has ALWAYS paid out on insurance if it was a legit claim. In fact if there was damage, we would usually get a check for the damage before we had been notified byt he customer that there was damage. FedEx on the other hand...let's just say there is a reason we never shipped anything with them and my current company refuses to use them as well. We are probably UPS's largest customer in Utah, so they are missing out on a large account and they know it :p

I've been in contact with them and fired off an email to let them know what's been going on today. Hopefully this can still be resolved, but I'm starting to think that I might be SOL. I don't believe there was insurance on the package, but I could be wrong

Caleb

I've been in contact with them and fired off an email to let them know what's been going on today. Hopefully this can still be resolved, but I'm starting to think that I might be SOL. I don't believe there was insurance on the package, but I could be wrong
FWIW, the shipper gets an automatic $100 in insurance. So if it's <$100 in value then you may be in luck (depending on how UPS views it).